05 6.0 oil temp high ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
05 6.0 oil temp high ?

Hi all, I'm new to the form...have been gleaning information here for about a year now since I bought my truck and finally decided to join. I've been reading about oil temp /coolant temp should not be more than 15 apart so today I hooked up my scanner to check mine. With an ambient temp of 57 my coolant temp after a 13 mile trip with no load was 183 and my eot was 242. I have purchased a egr delete kit and it would appear to me that I also need a new oil cooler before I tackle the delete kit. Just wanted any advice on the large difference in temperature that I am seeing. Thanks

Last edited by fordnhtractormd; 12-29-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ohh man that's bad!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

Your oil cooler is clogged. With the old cooler still in, I would get rid of the gold coolant that I'm assuming is still there with a restore and restore+ flush. Then switch to an elc and get a coolant filter. Then I'd do the egr delete and replace the oil cooler. I'd also replace your thermostat. Your coolant temp seems a tad low. I just did all of the above and now my coolant temp is always 190-192 and my oil temp is 192-194. Almost never changes from that.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 12-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Serving Our Country!

The engine's computer will defuel when oil temperature reaches 253F so your oil is very close to that threshold.

It sounds like your oil cooler is fully blocked. A full flush is in order before replacement of the oil cooler as you could introduce contamination to the new cooler if you flush after replacement. A coolant filter would be a very good idea to add with the coolant flush drill along with any EC-1 rated coolant rather than Premium Gold as the formulation has better cavitation protection and longer-lasting corrosion protection properties (i.e., more than 2-years).

Get a sample of your used oil analyzed and be prepared for identification of high wear and reduced viscosity from the high temperature the oil has been subjected to. I would recommend preventatively changing the oil and oil filter along with the oil analysis. Here are three labs that are good:
Blackstone Labs
Predictive Maintenance Services, Inc.
Oil Analyzers, Inc. - Oil Analysis, Oil Testing Services
or find an over-the-road truck service center where you may be able to get a while-you-wait analysis of the used oil. Of course only use Motorcraft/International/Racor branded oil filters. I suggest DieselFiltersOnline.com as the source for your Racor oil and fuel filter sets (as Racor makes the filters sold as MC and Int'l anyway). If you haven't recently changed the fuel filter set this is the time to do that also. The DFO also sells thermostats and for such a small price there is a lot of peace-of-mind that comes from a new thermostat. Your flush(es) should include a thermostat-out flush after Restore and VC-9/Restore+ treatments with the thermostat in (or blocked radiator to allow the engine to get hot enough for the chemicals to work fully).

That is a very troubling difference.

There are other checks while you have the engine opened up that much: HPOP screen, STC, improved turbo drain lines...

You've got some work ahead to be sure but you've caught it in advance of a catastrophic failure on the side of the road so that is a "good on you."

Jonathan
Old 12-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info, just got through ordering a new cooler and the updated stc fitting kit. Any recommendations for a coolant filter kit?

Last edited by fordnhtractormd; 12-29-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay guys this seems strange to me. I let the truck sit overnight and temps got cold here last night so i check the two readings with the engine cold this morning and the coolant was 45 and the eot was at 65.....shouldn't they be the same on a cold engine?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:31 AM
Premium Member

Yes they should be about the same. Sounds like you have a bad sensor as well as a bad oil cooler.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:21 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
are you sure it was 100% cold? I know that if I am out at a local watering hole and have to leave early the next day.... my oil will still have a little temp to it. Not much but a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.