IC ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IC ?

I was looking under the hood today and noticed a crack in the boot coming off the turbo to the pipe going into the IC. It doesn't seem to be blowing out any air at ideal so I can't tell if its all the way threw or just on the surface. I don't want to mess with it and make a whole if there isn't one. I'm tearing it down in two weeks should I replace it with OEM or after market such as Banks? Can it wait till then or does it need to be replaced now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

If you haven't added an inline filter to the crankcase ventilation system (CCV) then oil will cling to the charge air cooler (CAC) boots (and the intercooler tubes, etc.) so an oil resistant CAC boot is preferrable to a non-oil resistant CAC boot. There are many vendors including Banks with oil resistant CAC boots. Pay for the oil resistant aftermarket boot and don't worry about oil induced fatigue - even if you do filter the CCV - or just be prepared for the OEM to eventually fatigue again...the evidence of oil induced fatigue (from the outside) is visible to you now. You would definitely hear the turbo blowing under load. At idle, there is no boost produced.

Jonathan
Old 12-29-2011, 08:47 AM

So should I just order a banks setup with everything but the IC itself and explain the CCV cause ill do that too and can it wait till the 12th?
Old 12-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

I am not sure what you are asking for here. If all you need is the boot then I suggest just get the boot. Dieselsite.com has the turbo to CAC tube boot as well as Banks...and many other vendors (several who support this forum).

If you want to upgrade the intercooler system then Banks is good (I have the Banks intercooler) but Banks is not the only option...I am very happy with my Banks Technicooler.

The CCV (crankcase ventilation) allows gases in the crankcase to recirculate back through the intake for two reasons. First it is an emissions control system to burn off these gases that contribute to the creation of acid rain...I am no tree hugger myself but this system is in effect on EVERY car produced for nearly the last 20-years so it's no government conspiracy in any case. Second, and more important, the crankcase gases are capable of blowing out main seals if not ventilated - this is much more important than environmental consciousness in my opinion. Older vehicles just "wept" on the ground and didn' recirculate the crankcase gas. Some vent the crankcase gas back to atmosphere. This is technically a violation of the emissions control system but since these gases stink I would encourage you to filter the gas to capture any aspirated oil rather than dump straight to ground. There is a FANTASTIC kit available from NCHornet via stealth-automotive.com:
CCV Mod
that filters the CCV gas of the oil so that your CAC boots are no longer subjected to oil saturation...this also makes the intercooler more efficient.

You may delay the CAC boot until the 12th unless the boot blows out. If it does blow out, you will have very little power and lots of black smoke but the truck will still run...I wouldn't encourage running it if the boot blows out though - a possible field fix with silicone tape may provide some relief but with 28psi boost possible (that is 2 times the atmospheric pressure) it isn't likely to hold well or for very long.

Keeping fingers crossed for you!

Jonathan
Old 12-29-2011, 11:37 AM

That's for the help Colonel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.