Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Blue-ish white smoke-cold start

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ultimate4x4 
#1 ·
I am newer to having a diesel. Over the summer I bought a 04 F350 Lariat 6.0 PSD. Since, I have removed the kitty and muff and left the stock 3.5" pipes. I live here in Michigan and it gets pretty cold at night. I have worked for private ambulance companies and Fire dept's and have been driving the 6.0's in ambulances since they came out in 2003. The nights have become much colder now here in MI and when i start it the truck smokes a lot of blue-ish smoke and runs really rough for a sec or until the engine temp guage actually hits the cold mark. Is this normal or should there be some concern. Once the truck warms up it runs like a champ and I went from 21.4mpg hwy, to 20.0mpg hwy with the cold weather. I try to wait for it to warm up before driving it but working for a voulanteer FD some nights I have to get in and go. Unfortunately my apartment is too far to run a block heater cord to it, and my remote start is being shipped. Any help is appreciated

#2 ·
Try REV-X what you're experiencing is stiction.

You might also ensure your FICM is operating correctly producing 45 DC volts.

D

#3 ·
A real FICM check begins with a test of the batteries.
Take them out of the truck and run them down to an autoparts store. Have them load test them (free service, if it isn't find another store).
Replace the batteries as a set if either of them test as marginal or fails.
When you return home, place the batteries on a charger and charge them to 100%. Even if you bought new batteries, charge them since they don't come off the shelf with a full charge.
Clean/check the connectors (This is where I found my problem), reinstall, get your multi meter, then CLICK HERE for written directions on how/when to check FICM voltage readings.
If you see less than 46 volts during the testing, your FICM needs to be repaired. Check out ficmrepair.com if you need to have it repaired.

The reason for addressing the batteries prior to checking the FICM is that the way these trucks are wired, they will crank over rapidly, yet the batteries may not have enough "juice" to fire it up. The weak batteries can also kill your FICM (among causing other electronic issues).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.