New Cooler, but still 9 differential - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Cooler, but still 9 differential

I just did a semi-bulletproofing job on my 2005 F350. I did a new oil cooler, a BPD EGR cooler, upgraded STC and upgraded turbo feed & drain tubes. My truck was not exhibiting huge temperature differentials like I see some post, but I was regularly running 10-14 delta between ECT & EOT.

It's been back together for 2 days and I've been running around locally with good results. Today I took it out on the highway and set cruise control at 2,000 RPM / 65 mph for a steady 20 minute run. On both the way out and back, the ECT was 180 and the EOT was 189. There were momentary fluctuations either way, but those were the predominant readings. It's 39 here today.

While I agree that my temp delta is smaller than before, I sort of expected more. I was under the impression I'd see 4-5 differential.

I did not do a coolant flush just before the swap, however, I did do a full coolant flush w/ VC9 & restore back around march and I've had a coolant filter in place ever since. My first coolant filter element swap showed little gunk in the pleats. The filter element I pulled off this week was the 2nd.

Any thoughts? Is my expectation off?

-Hemicbx
York, PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

subscribed..
Old 12-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

The 9* spread would really not worry me too much, but both temps seem a little low. Maybe a sticking thermostat?? Might try replacing the tstat and go from there. Also keep in mind that the coolant filter will not catch everything. So if the flush loosened up debris then it might have got stuffed back in your new oil cooler.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
No worries. At your ambient temps and short trips your barely up to temp. Is your Tstat good? If not replace it. If its good put a cold front on the truck
Old 12-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

looking at what you've done, you know it's not clogged. It's cooling as well as can be done with an OEM cooler. So have you checked your temps when the engine has sat cold overnight, to be sure they're reading the same temp then? Maybe one of your sensors is wrong.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

I too just did a similar semi-bulletproofing on my 2006. EGR delete, new oil cooler after full coolant flush and turbo drain tubes with new 190deg T-Stat. After the change, running 65-70 on highway in 30-45 degree temperatures I'm seeing EOT steady at 189 and ECT at 182-184. I have to beat on her pretty hard to get coolant up to 190 and comes right back down and my oil only goes up to 193-194 and comes back down as well.

I confirmed my part number on the T-Stat from Motorcraft that was a 190deg so too am confused why my temps are lower than expected.

I also think that if my coolant temp would get up to 190 I would have a 3-5deg Delta but can't say for sure.

May install a grill cover to see if that changes things.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I thought the OEM T-stat was supposed to be 195 deg?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 PM

Yeah, My truck has always run on the cold side in the winter. It tended to hang out around 185-190 in the winter time. In the summer it will go 195, 200, or 200 plus a few.

Idahoser, good thought. I'll check in the morning after it sets all night.

It will be interesting to see what happens when spring/summer rolls around.

-Hemicbx
York, PA
Old 12-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Serving Our Country!

89C-104C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I thought the OEM T-stat was supposed to be 195 deg?
Motorcraft thermostats are stamped 89-104C indicating the initial opening temperature of 89C (192.2F) and a fully opened position at 104C (219.2F).

Efficiency of the oil cooler is dependent upon engine load, ambient air temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, type of coolant, condition of coolant, type of oil, condition of oil, condition of oil cooler, condition of water pump, ad infinitum...but ultimately the operational range for effective oil cooling is indicated when the differential is below 15 degrees F when the truck is at operating temperature (in cold weather this may take more time than the 20-minutes ordinarily provided in warmer weather) on level ground at 55-65mph.

The temperature differential report is normal.

Enjoy more. Worry less.

Jonathan
Old 12-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
Motorcraft thermostats are stamped 89-104C indicating the initial opening temperature of 89C (192.2F) and a fully opened position at 104C (219.2F).

Efficiency of the oil cooler is dependent upon engine load, ambient air temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, type of coolant, condition of coolant, type of oil, condition of oil, condition of oil cooler, condition of water pump, ad infinitum...but ultimately the operational range for effective oil cooling is indicated when the differential is below 15 degrees F when the truck is at operating temperature (in cold weather this may take more time than the 20-minutes ordinarily provided in warmer weather) on level ground at 55-65mph.

The temperature differential report is normal.

Enjoy more. Worry less.

Jonathan
Sorry to hijack but got any good Earthroamer pics to share? Saw one up close in Estes Park, CO couple of years ago and fell in love. Plan to own one at some point!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.