Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New Cooler, but still 9° differential

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  neffco 
#1 ·
I just did a semi-bulletproofing job on my 2005 F350. I did a new oil cooler, a BPD EGR cooler, upgraded STC and upgraded turbo feed & drain tubes. My truck was not exhibiting huge temperature differentials like I see some post, but I was regularly running 10-14° delta between ECT & EOT.

It's been back together for 2 days and I've been running around locally with good results. Today I took it out on the highway and set cruise control at 2,000 RPM / 65 mph for a steady 20 minute run. On both the way out and back, the ECT was 180° and the EOT was 189°. There were momentary fluctuations either way, but those were the predominant readings. It's 39° here today.

While I agree that my temp delta is smaller than before, I sort of expected more. I was under the impression I'd see 4-5° differential.

I did not do a coolant flush just before the swap, however, I did do a full coolant flush w/ VC9 & restore back around march and I've had a coolant filter in place ever since. My first coolant filter element swap showed little gunk in the pleats. The filter element I pulled off this week was the 2nd.

Any thoughts? Is my expectation off?

-Hemicbx
York, PA

See less See more
#3 ·
The 9* spread would really not worry me too much, but both temps seem a little low. Maybe a sticking thermostat?? Might try replacing the tstat and go from there. Also keep in mind that the coolant filter will not catch everything. So if the flush loosened up debris then it might have got stuffed back in your new oil cooler.

#4 ·
No worries. At your ambient temps and short trips your barely up to temp. Is your Tstat good? If not replace it. If its good put a cold front on the truck

#6 ·
I too just did a similar semi-bulletproofing on my 2006. EGR delete, new oil cooler after full coolant flush and turbo drain tubes with new 190deg T-Stat. After the change, running 65-70 on highway in 30-45 degree temperatures I'm seeing EOT steady at 189 and ECT at 182-184. I have to beat on her pretty hard to get coolant up to 190 and comes right back down and my oil only goes up to 193-194 and comes back down as well.

I confirmed my part number on the T-Stat from Motorcraft that was a 190deg so too am confused why my temps are lower than expected.

I also think that if my coolant temp would get up to 190 I would have a 3-5deg Delta but can't say for sure.

May install a grill cover to see if that changes things.

#9 ·
89C-104C

Motorcraft thermostats are stamped 89-104C indicating the initial opening temperature of 89C (192.2F) and a fully opened position at 104C (219.2F).

Efficiency of the oil cooler is dependent upon engine load, ambient air temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, type of coolant, condition of coolant, type of oil, condition of oil, condition of oil cooler, condition of water pump, ad infinitum...but ultimately the operational range for effective oil cooling is indicated when the differential is below 15 degrees F when the truck is at operating temperature (in cold weather this may take more time than the 20-minutes ordinarily provided in warmer weather) on level ground at 55-65mph.

The temperature differential report is normal.

Enjoy more. Worry less.

Jonathan

#8 ·
Yeah, My truck has always run on the cold side in the winter. It tended to hang out around 185-190 in the winter time. In the summer it will go 195, 200, or 200 plus a few.

Idahoser, good thought. I'll check in the morning after it sets all night.

It will be interesting to see what happens when spring/summer rolls around.

-Hemicbx
York, PA

#11 ·
#12 ·
I just put a new cooler in a few months back about two weeks after a cooling system flush and elc switch. I also installed a new BPD cooler and I noticed right after start up and trip I was @ 6-7 delta. now my buddy did this but did a delete and was @ 3-5 delta. maybe some knows if have a egr cooler affects this over a delete or not since some of the hot coolant could get sent back though the oil cooler. also after 2 months the delta has not changed.

#17 ·
I may try throwing the SCT tow tune in and disable the EGR option.

#18 ·
Eric's tune is the best thing I have ever one to these trucks. This is my 4th 6.0 and have run can tunes until this one. Wow!!! You will not regret it. I do not run mine hard at all, but just everyday driving is improved ten fold. While mine was in the shop that gave me a 2011 v6 crew cab 150 to drive. I reset the mpg when I left and when I returned today I was at 15.7 mpg with the way I drive. My 250 always stays around 14.7. I was seriously thinking about trading for a new Eco boost but I think I am going to put 300000 on this one.

#19 ·
No, don't get me wrong, I'm on board with the tuning. I have Matt's tunes. Matt's don't allow the option to disable the EGR; the SCT ones do. I'm just saying that in refernce to what KCPowerstroke says above, I can simulate an egr delete with the SCT tune

#20 ·
Just had egr delete turbo and oil cooler on truck in sig and I see 3 to 9 deltas after 1700m.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.