Keeping my Truck and Keeping my Interest in it! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 PM
NOT a Democrat

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Keeping my Truck and Keeping my Interest in it!

So I know a lot of you on this board off and on the board. As you know, I love my truck. It is my tow rig, parts & home restoration hauler, and....daily driver.

A few of my close friends have been trading in their 6.0s and 6.4s on 6.7s. While I love driving my friends trucks, I don’t think I could part with my Dark Stone baby...... So I like to keep my total interest in my truck so I don’t find myself straying. I had my tuner build me a new tune. Stock with the EGR codes off (so it doesn’t pop up since my cooler and EGR set up is gonzo). I have been driving her stock. When I get board, I will re load my street tune. I did this last year it is amazing how I feel like I have a totally different truck each time. This process keeps me from getting the dreaded truck payment back each month! lol

It’s also nice that I have now had my truck for 3 years. So I am still taking complete care of my truck but I am not afraid to put tons upon tons of material in the back or tow a friend out of a ditch or even complete stranger out of a ditch or mud pile (like I did today again). Where I know if I had a new one, I would be hesitant.

The moral of what I am saying, after driving many new beautful 11 and 12 Superdutys.....I am still in love with my ole girl and dont want to "upgrade"!

A fixed 6.0 is where its at!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Couldn't agree more.

While I love the look of the 2011 and 2012's, that payment I can't justify.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:11 PM

From the look of the pics you are young. Upgrade your bank account and enjoy life without a new truck payment.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
From the look of the pics you are young. Upgrade your bank account and enjoy life without a new truck payment.
Yup! 32 in a few months.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:18 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yea a new truck dressed the way I want it would be $60+k.....I'll stick with my 2006 6.0 for a bit longer. Besides I still have plenty of mods to do!!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
So I know a lot of you on this board off and on the board. As you know, I love my truck. It is my tow rig, parts & home restoration hauler, and....daily driver.

A few of my close friends have been trading in their 6.0s and 6.4s on 6.7s. While I love driving my friends trucks, I donít think I could part with my Dark Stone baby...... So I like to keep my total interest in my truck so I donít find myself straying. I had my tuner build me a new tune. Stock with the EGR codes off (so it doesnít pop up since my cooler and EGR set up is gonzo). I have been driving her stock. When I get board, I will re load my street tune. I did this last year it is amazing how I feel like I have a totally different truck each time. This process keeps me from getting the dreaded truck payment back each month! lol

Itís also nice that I have now had my truck for 3 years. So I am still taking complete care of my truck but I am not afraid to put tons upon tons of material in the back or tow a friend out of a ditch or even complete stranger out of a ditch or mud pile (like I did today again). Where I know if I had a new one, I would be hesitant.

The moral of what I am saying, after driving many new beautful 11 and 12 Superdutys.....I am still in love with my ole girl and dont want to "upgrade"!

A fixed 6.0 is where its at!
Honestly, the newness of a "newer" will wear off of a new truck and all your left with is the payments after this period. After I BP'ed there is not much more a new $60,000 2011 version of my truck can do than the one I have. Plus, I use mine for hauling and work and would not want to spend that much for a "nice" work truck.

Ultimately, these trucks have not changed that much over the years.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm635 View Post
Honestly, the newness of a "newer" will wear off of a new truck and all your left with is the payments after this period. After I BP'ed there is not much more a new $60,000 2011 version of my truck can do than the one I have. Plus, I use mine for hauling and work and would not want to spend that much for a "nice" work truck.

Ultimately, these trucks have not changed that much over the years.
The biggest change is the "butt ugly" front view of the new trucks.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

Another reality check, take a look at what you would pay for it out the door, and then keep a close look at the value of the truck vs. your loan balance (assuming the vast majority of purchasers finance their new trucks). Hopefully it will cross over into an asset within the first 5 years, but as some ppl are getting 7-8 year loans on expensive vehicles, that may be optimistic. New vehicles are such a money loser, a depreciating asset. If you can use it for work and can write it off, that's different, the govt then partially subsidizes it for you. On the other hand, if you're independently wealthy, then the cost of it is probably a rounding error in your checking acct.

That's why I Always buy vehicles used, let the orig owner take a bath the first 2-4 years, and I pick up a low mileage "broken in" vehicle for a fraction of the cost of new. That's how I got my Lexus LS400. I've always liked them since they came out in the early 90's, but couldn't afford the $47k they were priced at, so I bided my time, and finally in late 2006 I found a 2000 model with 69k miles, for under $17000. That was about 66% off a vehicle that should easily last for over 200,000 miles.

I did the same thing with my Ex, 6 years old and depreciated about $23,000. Love the truck, and am really happy I bought it. I plan on keeping/driving it till the wheels fall off.

Above comments are just my opinions, and like a certain body part, everyone has one. Mine (opinion, that is ) may be different than yours, but hey, whatever works!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:45 AM

It's be a cold snowy day in hell before this cat spends 50+ thousand dollars on a steel bucket of bolts that drives down the road. Yes I can afford it, but due to moral constraints of my brain it'll never happen. Even in another 30 years I still won't spend 50k on a truck and trucks will probably be 80-100k then.

Off my soapbox now.

PS, I'll never own anything with a DPF or a piss tank either. So next go around may be back to gas. Keeps fingers crossed desperately for a 5.0 liter eco boost in the superduty.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:45 AM

Oh yeah, Galaxie, you have one of the cleanest trucks on the board!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.