Talk me out of a purchase...or into it... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talk me out of a purchase...or into it...

I found a truck, has all the options I've been looking for plus some (like ghost flames on the side, not a fan but I'll tolerate). Wasn't looking for a harley truck but it is what it is.

The owner (who just bought it a few months ago) says the degas bottle was replaced by the dealership before he bought it. His wife doesn't like it and it's his first diesel and it appears he's more clueless that I...which scares me a little too. At least I can use the search function on here...lol Not sure if he knows of an issue or if it was just an impulse purchase that he regrets.

So to get to my question...
He says that the coolant level is 2 inches below the low mark, anymore coolant and it pukes it out. From what I've read on here 1/4 below is the new norm. I'm longer away than I'd prefer so I want more of a warm fuzzy before I hop on a plane to go get it. It's got 82,000 miles on it and appears all stock. I'll be getting a CTS to monitor asap and delete the EGR shortly after I get it home but it's a long trip back (800ish miles that is).

So what's the odds I make it??? LOL Already taking bets at work. I'll just be pot committed if I get on the plane. The good news is I'll paying cash and will still be able to fund some projects after I get back. I just don't want a heck of a tow bill to eat those funds up!

Thoughts? I've asked the usual questions and got an oasis report (appears to be well maintained).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 01:57 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Do the block check and get gauges (like you said you were) to check the delta between coolant and oil temps.

If the coolant level is too high, it sure will puke. If the degas bottle isnt updated or if it doesnt have an updated sticker, it would need to be about that low.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would do a simple coolant pressure test driving it cold to normal hot running temp then drive it a little hard down to e way to see how high the pressure go's if it go's over 16 psi and comes up fast like when you get on it there is head gasket problem just take the pressure off the vent for the egr cooler @ the tank where the cap is. If you can do the ect/eot test too. I run my coolant @ the almost at max level mark and never had a problem.

Last edited by rockfish71; 12-27-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Do the block check and get gauges (like you said you were) to check the delta between coolant and oil temps.

If the coolant level is too high, it sure will puke. If the degas bottle isnt updated or if it doesnt have an updated sticker, it would need to be about that low.
I'll have him check the sticker or get me a pic of it. That makes me feel a little better about his 2" statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfish71 View Post
I would do a simple coolant pressure test driving it cold to normal hot running temp then drive it a little hard down to e way to see how high the pressure go's if it go's over 16 psi and comes up fast like when you get on it there is head gasket problem just take the pressure off the vent for the egr cooler @ the tank where the cap is.
This is the part that worries me, I'll be picked up at the airport, meaning it will be at operating temp. Plus I'll be out $500 to get there. He says it holds level just fine but I'm more concerned with driving it all the way back if there is a potential issue.

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 12-27-2011, 02:17 PM

Found a pic of it, so is this a new or old one?
Old 12-27-2011, 03:48 PM

That's the updated sticker. Nice shiny engine bay you got there! But looks are very deceiving...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.