What is the best way tofind exhaust leaks? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What is the best way tofind exhaust leaks?

Looks like I am tearing this pile apart again. Did an EGR delete Friday, had an small leak at the up pipe to the tubo. I didn't have air tools so I wasn't going through the torture of trying to mess with that clamp with a ratchet. Took it to my my buddies house Saturday and we bent one of the tabs on the v band clamp. Yesterday I got a new clamp from the dealer and we swapped them out last night, witch is a pain in the rear with the turbo and up pipe connected. After using a ratchet strap and losening the up pipe bolts we got it lined up and cranked it down. Started the truck up and the same hiss. Before I could put my hand over the turbo and feel air gushing out now nothing around the turbo. Its bad enough I have to drive with my windows down or I will puke. I'm guessing I cracked the up pipe. What is the best method of finding the leak? I am probably going to have to take the whole thing back apart anyways. The coolant pipe on my EGR delete has a steady drip of coolant leaking. Really pisses me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spray bottle of soapy water.

Jonathan
Old 12-27-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
Spray bottle of soapy water.

Jonathan
So do it just after a cold start? Wouldn't it just evaporate if the motor it hot?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:53 PM

you most likely cracked the flex joints on the uppipes. let er cool down then have someone fire it up while you put your hand around the flex joints. elite diesel makes some nice upgraded ones. in order to replace youll have to yank the turbo again, i think. next time loosen the connections at the manifolds and hand set the up pipe at the turbo and tighten the clamp. then go underneath and tighten up the manifolds. ratchet straps break things.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

I think you'd see the spray respond vigorously at the site of a leak whether cold or hot - it may evaporate but you still would see the response during the process. This works very well for me on my motorcycle and other small engines as well as on inner tubes. I am certain there is a "smoke test" but sometimes simple is best - and this is exceedingly simple. If you have so much exhaust gas in the cab that you feel sick then perhaps leaning over a running engine isn't the best method to be certain so have a buddy nearby (and absolutely don't seek out a leak indoors even with the exhaust vented...IT'S LEAKING AFTER ALL). The exhaust manifold is also factory-installed without gaskets and may be a source of the leaking if you have removed the exhaust manifolds for any reason (such as adding a pyrometer).

This test is a "point-of-observation" instant response/identification type. You'll see something and know that's where the leak is, or you won't see anything and have to continue searching.

Jonathan

EDIT: scha0786 has identified one of the most-common causes/sources of exhaust leaks of the variety you are experiencing.

Last edited by howell_jd; 12-27-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Cracked flex joint...yep, very likely.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:40 PM

Thanks guys
Old 12-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

A stick or heavy wire with a piece of string or the like on the end, and a flash light. when the leak blows the string, there is your leak.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv View Post
A stick or heavy wire with a piece of string or the like on the end, and a flash light. when the leak blows the string, there is your leak.
Hmmm sounds simple enough. Gotta remember that one.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

Ive heard of using a small hose like a vacuum hose one end close to your ear and the other end to probe for the leak (like a stethoscope). Never tried it myself, but am willing to use when needed. Good luck
Old 12-27-2011, 04:33 PM

Well I find leaks with a smoke machine. Not a fancy one. one that you would use for Halloween I just rigged up a hose on it shove it in the exshaust and plug off the end and just look for the leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.