Terra/Trail Grappler, 4/10 ply?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 06:11 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Terra/Trail Grappler, 4/10 ply??

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but thought I would gather a fresh set of opinions on my new tire purchase. I'm in need of tires, and have been looking at the Nitto Trail Grappler. I currently have Terra Grapplers, which were on the truck when I bought it (approx 10k miles ago). Two of them are basically bald, while two are approx. 50%. I would like a more aggressive tire sidewall-wise, but don't want to sacrifice too much in terms of tread wear. I am happy with the Terras, as the two that were in decent shape seem to be wearing well over the miles I have had the truck, but they lack a little in the appearance department. Have guys been having good luck with the Trails, as far as tread life goes? I have hear anywhere from 30K up to 50-55K as far as lifespan. I am less concerned about noise, as I would expect a tread pattern like the Trails to be noisier than what I have. I don't spend much (if any) time off road, so it's not a need, more of a want, for the aggressive look. I also wonder about the neccessity of a 10-ply tire. The heaviest thing I pull is a 14-ft aluminum fishing boat, but I've always felt that a truck this size should have 10-ply tires regardless of it's use. Would anyone recommend using a 4-ply (standard load) tire, or shold I avoid that altogether? At roughly $800-$1000 for a set, I don't want to be burning through tires once a year. I spend most of my time on the highway going to and from work, but as I said, I really like the look of a more aggressive sidewall like the Trail Grapplers. Tires will be LT285/70R17, on stock wheels, with stock suspension, so that also makes me wonder if the Trail Grapplers will look a little ridiculous or not. I know this ultimately comes down to personal preference, but all thoughts and opinions are appreciated. I also had someone suggest BFG All-Terrains, and for the record, I will not be anywhere near those tires, no one I know has had good luck with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 06:39 AM
Premium Member

Can't say for sure on the trail grapplers, but I have a set of Mud grapplers on my truck that have 50k on them and still have plenty of tread left. Being that the trail grappler are supposedly the same compound of rubber, just less aggressive than the muds, I would assume they would last the same or even longer. Personally, as far as the ply rating...go as high as possible, you never know when you might need to tow something heavier, it should make the sidewalls stiffer (rides worse, but gives stability), and gives me piece of mind on the highway. Good luck with the purchase. I think a set of trail grapplers might be my next tires. Very happy with my mud grapplers, but I don't get the truck into that kind of mud/off road situations anymore.
-Aaron
Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I have Trails now and LOVE them. I had the Terra's before - by far the worst wearing truck tire I have ever had or seen in my life. My Trails have 4000 miles on them, no sign of wear yet.

In the Terra's defence - they were so horrible, maybe I had a set of blems?

Trail - Great!
Terra - JUNK!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:05 AM
NOT a Democrat

And yes, on your truck you need a 10ply!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:19 AM

That's what I was thinking. Not sure why all the tire guys around here keep telling me to go with 4-ply tires. The fact that I could tow or haul if I want with the 10-ply is enough to make me stick with them. I am leaning heavily toward the Trails at this point. Since I can mount and balance them myself at work, it's just a matter of the lowest price I can find. Thanks, I'll post up some pics when I get the tires mounted. After this I gotta drop more coin for the injectors that I need, and my EGR delete!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:20 AM
NOT a Democrat

Even just with the fact that it is a 3/4 ton with a diesel.... you need 10 plys!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i got the dura grapplers, not agressive but i am 60k And still good tread left. my next set will for sure be another dura grapplers
Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the LT295/70R18E1 4080 pound rated tire with 16k on them stock with no leveling on the front.

Here is a picture when i had the 285/75/18 toyo at's on it

Last edited by rockfish71; 12-27-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the nitto TRAIL grapplers, about 15k on them so far and only slight wear on the rear, need to rotate them. the fronts still look new.

I did my research before dropping the money, and they are the BEST load range E aggressive tread tire out there. and they are extremely quiet compared to say BFG Muds going down the highway. I have had them aired down to 13-15psi while at the dunes pulling about 12k pounds, and drove it on the street to the gas station to air up with only 15 pounds, and it still towed exceptionally well. I usually have problems towing and limping the mile or 2 to the gas station with other tires.

I absolutely love these tires and will be getting another set but hopefully not for a looooooong time
Old 12-27-2011, 09:42 AM

Man, those tires make a world of difference in the appearance of the truck! Thanks for the pics, that just pushed me over the edge. Trail Grapplers it is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.