HPOP?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HPOP?!

Ok, well in the last few months I have deleted my egr, installed a new oil cooler, head studs, thermostat, icp, 2 injectors, and upgraded my ficm.. My problem is after the truck sits for a while (more than 8 hrs or so) and you go to crank the truck it fires right up, but then cuts off.. It usually does the 3 times before it finally stays up and running. After its up and running, it runs fine w no problems at all.. Could this be my hpop is going and having trouble pushing enough oil out when its cold and then is fine once the truck has been running for a minute and the oil is warmer!?!? Please help... This is killing me and has been going on now since Julyish timeframe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Bump.... Noone has any thoughts or insight to this?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Your description really doesn't fit the "standard" 6.0 high pressure oil complaint but...

When it was apart for studs, injectors, etc were the stand pipes and dummy plugs replaced? Do you have any means of watching ICP pressure when the truck is first started? It takes my CTS a few seconds to come on line and it sounds like your truck will have quit before a CTS will tell you anything.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargar View Post
Your description really doesn't fit the "standard" 6.0 high pressure oil complaint but...

When it was apart for studs, injectors, etc were the stand pipes and dummy plugs replaced? Do you have any means of watching ICP pressure when the truck is first started? It takes my CTS a few seconds to come on line and it sounds like your truck will have quit before a CTS will tell you anything.
No the stand pipes or dummy plugs werent replaced. I have a CTS as well and sometimes it comes online prior to cranking and sometimes it doesnt. I have it set to monitor but I hardly ever have the chance to see before it cuts off. I have several videos of what its doing if someone could post them for me?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The new design stand pipes come with the Ford head gaskets. It is a one piece design rather than the factory two piece set up. A worn, torn, cut or otherwise damaged o-ring will cause you problems. It may be worth looking into.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 PM

Ill check into it.. thanks.

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide.Com Free
Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 PM

I forgot to mention, in addition to all the work above and having the crank issue, it was suggested to me to plug the truck up one night and see how it cranked the next morning. I dont generally plug my truck in over night due to my location in coastal SC, however, upon plugging it in for the night i had no crank issue what so ever.... does this help anyone as far as possibly identifying the problem.. cold bad start, warm start fine.. any insight appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:30 AM

Thats most likely not an HPO issue. A 2003 does not have dummy plugs.

Look more closely into injectors or FICM. How was the FICM upgraded? Are you sure it was done correctly?

I realize the work you have done - I'm just saying from the symptoms where I would be looking.

Injector Stiction can be an issue also. What oil do you use? What filter do you use? How old is your oil? Have you checked the oil level recently?

If you are confident of the FICM, etc., maybe it is time to take it in for a cylinder contribution test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.