How to decide on a SS turbo back exhaust for my 05 Ex? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to decide on a SS turbo back exhaust for my 05 Ex?

I've been using my friend Google to try and find a replacement exhaust for my '05 Ex, and have come up with a number of different choices - MBRP, Magnaflow, Banks, AFE, Bullydog, etc. How does one come to a decision as to which would be the "best" / most appropriate for my truck? My goal is better performance, SS for the basically lifetime service life, and sounding as close to stock as possible (quiet is better than loud, as I Can't Stand a drone in a vehicle, it gives me a headache), I don't have a tune in it yet, but plan on doing it sometime next year, probably one good at towing and easy on the tranny.

I see there are a few options available, such as with CAT or without, with muffler or without, etc. One issue I may have is that I've purchased the 5yr/60 Ford extended warranty, I presume that this will have some effect on the choices available to me, since missing pollution control devices may be an issue for them? One other thing I would like is to have as few parts as it can, since I am probably going to have it welded up. Is it possible to install it with just one joint for easier removal, or can it even be installed as one piece, without having to drop any suspension parts?

Has anyone gone thru a similar situation trying to decide on a new exhaust from a catalog/website without actually being able to see / "try it on"? I know there is a ton of experience hanging out here at the .org, so I thought I would tap into it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Most run mbrp. I have one and am very happy with it. diamond eye and magnaflow are good too. I have a muffler and no cat and I don't have any drone. I live in ca so I rigged my exhaust so when I have and emissions test I can put the cat back in real easy.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using AutoGuide App
Old 12-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

I was reading another thread about exhausts, and heard that performancetruckproducts.com had a $300 or so deal on exhausts, so I checked it out. Of course they weren't for my vehicle or T-304 SS, the best MBRP I could find was the T409 (XP series) for about $600. I did find a Magnaflow Stainless 4" Turbo-Back, 5" Double Wall Tip, Side Exit for about $830, but I was hoping to spend a bit less than that on my exhaust, even 304 stainless. I am resigned to having to spend more on mine than a comparable F250/350 SD due to a smaller volume of sales on mine, and that they aren't directly compatible bolt in, unfortunately. How's one to decide?
Old 12-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

They all do the same thing - it is purely a "price and sound" decision.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:01 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Magnaflow, MBRP, Silverline. All good. I run MBRP stuff.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Glow Plugs Only

I have a Banks 4" turbo back. Very quiet with cat same as stock system and just a little more turbo noise minus the cat. I'm happy with the system and the EGT's are cooler than the 3 1/2" stock system, plus the engine breaths much better. I also have a Trinity T1000 tuner I run on a 65hp tow tune. As for which system to choose it's all personnal preferrence. You may also want to consider a less restrictive intake elbow and air filter.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the replies guys. It's tough when all you have to go by is what you read in catalogs and websites, I think I will peruse Youtube a bit looking for some ppl who may have posted what their trucks sound like, with different combos of exhaust setups, w/wo muffler or cat, etc) maybe this will help me decide. Is it pretty much a ford vs. chev vs. dodge vs. toyota thing when it comes to exhausts, or does paying more for one actually get you more? I can see the $ diff when it comes to different grades of SS and such, but other than that, is there much separating them?
Old 12-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I run the MBRP and love it. Its just a little louder than stock with a throaty bark when you get on it !!! 4" Turbo back, No cat, SS AND 5" TIP WAS 518.00 Delivered from MKM customs. They are cheep but customer service is very sub par. Hope this helps. We sure love our EX [ problems or no problems ] LOL Welcome to the club.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by alha View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. It's tough when all you have to go by is what you read in catalogs and websites, I think I will peruse Youtube a bit looking for some ppl who may have posted what their trucks sound like, with different combos of exhaust setups, w/wo muffler or cat, etc) maybe this will help me decide. Is it pretty much a ford vs. chev vs. dodge vs. toyota thing when it comes to exhausts, or does paying more for one actually get you more? I can see the $ diff when it comes to different grades of SS and such, but other than that, is there much separating them?
Hope you have awesome sounding speakers and of course trust the actual recording equipment used if that's what your going to base your decision on !!!!!
Old 12-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee004 View Post
Hope you have awesome sounding speakers and of course trust the actual recording equipment used if that's what your going to base your decision on !!!!!
*sigh* That's my issue, though I could send it thru my stereo, and get it in all it's glory, but who's to say how well it's recorded, and it usually tells me nothing about how it sounds inside the truck, on the road, and under load as well as just cruising. I had a Borla SS exhaust on my '95 Landcruiser, and it sounded nice idling, but when on the road at typical driving speeds (under 70 mph) it droned. It didn't sound good until I hit over 75, and that didn't work for about 95% of my driving. That's what makes this so hard. I listened to a couple sound files on Magnaflows site thru my PC speakers, and it sounds a little throaty, especially on the drive by, but I can't tell if that is under load or just cruising, and that it sounds like inside the vehicle. I don't want to p*ss off the neighbors, of course, but even more I don't want to get a headache from my driving my truck long distances under load, wouldn't be a fun way to start the vacations this thing was bought for. This is going to be tougher than I imagined...

Last edited by alha; 12-26-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.