New to us 6.0 Excursion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to us 6.0 Excursion

So we just got the wifey a 2004 Excursion with the 6.0. It has 103K miles on the clock. Im wondering what we need to check on the thing to keep it reliable. We arent putting a tuner or anything on it. Im new to the powerstroke, I have a cummins. I just want to have the thing be reliable. It has a pyro, tranny, and boost guage. Any other guages to run? should I replace to oil cooler and egr stuff just to be safe? What should I fix to make this thing last another 100K miles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You need to get something to monitor ECT and EOT difference. Something like the Edge Insight CS or CTS. You want the temp. difference to be 15 degrees or less. Do a complete cooling system flush with Restore and Restore+ and refill the cooling system with an ELC coolant with an EC-1 rating. Install a coolant filter. Be prepared to replace the oil cooler after the flush if the ECT and EOT temp. difference gets above 15*. Flushing the system sometimes causes the oil cooler to become restricted. Would also switch the oil from a 15w40 to a 5w40 synthetic. I use Rotella T6 5w40. Only use Motor Craft or Racor oil and fuel filters and keep the stock intake.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:08 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You need to skim the threads and read the stickies.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:14 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Thanks for serving man - Awesome!

What you need to do:
1. Gauges - EGT, EOT, ECT, Trans temp most important
2. Coolant flush change over to ELC coolant
3. Coolant filter
4. Check your FICM volts
5. Ditch your EGR cooler
Old 12-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Serving Our Country!

THanks for the responses, I have been reading the threads/stickies, I Just wasnt sure where to start!!! Im not new to diesels im just new to the powerstroke and the 6.0.. Looks like once the weather hear warms up I will be doing the coolant flush and replacing the oil cooler.. We have the autometer gauges for boost, pyro, tranny, but it sounds like we might have to go to an CTS so we can monitor more stuff.

So since the Excursion is brand new to us what would the first thing to do, flush the coolant and change to the rotella T6 5w 40? Then do the oil cooler and add the CTS?
Old 12-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguy View Post
THanks for the responses, I have been reading the threads/stickies, I Just wasnt sure where to start!!! Im not new to diesels im just new to the powerstroke and the 6.0.. Looks like once the weather hear warms up I will be doing the coolant flush and replacing the oil cooler.. We have the autometer gauges for boost, pyro, tranny, but it sounds like we might have to go to an CTS so we can monitor more stuff.

So since the Excursion is brand new to us what would the first thing to do, flush the coolant and change to the rotella T6 5w 40? Then do the oil cooler and add the CTS?
Stay with Motorcraft filters, or Racor. Don't use the other after market filters.

Change all of them so you know the previous owner hasn't done the wrong thing.

Check the prices on this link for filters. Might even look here for your cummins.

Ford 6.0 Liter Turbo Diesel Truck Filters, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Transmission Filters And Glow Plugs - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks

Do the CTS before oil cooler. Then you know where you stand on things.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

Awesome, thanks guys!!! I feel like a D-bag not being able to search the forum but im on my phone and its being a pain... Ill be home tomorrow so I can search away, but again thanks for all the help!!!
Old 12-25-2011, 07:15 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyguy View Post
Awesome, thanks guys!!! I feel like a D-bag not being able to search the forum but im on my phone and its being a pain... Ill be home tomorrow so I can search away, but again thanks for all the help!!!
Heck no. It's a discussion board, not a thesaurus. Here to discuss! Don't worry about searching. Heck, the search function sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 12-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Serving Our Country!

ok so I got a question, I went to the dealership and got the oasis report. The only thing it shows is a recall for an oil leak back in 2006. Other than that there is nothing on it. So my question is, is that a good thing that the oasis doesnt have alot work or is it bad?
Old 12-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Glad my iPhone doesn't add that "sent from..." crap on the end my replies it would bug the heck out of me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.