Oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 11:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil

Does anybody use rotella t5 10w 30 oil i have heard a 4 people now tell me to use it for my 05 6.0 saying its better for it and to also use the hot shot secret oil treatmeant, Im doing a oil change this week as im makeing the drive from mi to florida next weekend with my truck thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by z7mathews6.0 View Post
Does anybody use rotella t5 10w 30 oil i have heard a 4 people now tell me to use it for my 05 6.0 saying its better for it and to also use the hot shot secret oil treatmeant, Im doing a oil change this week as im makeing the drive from mi to florida next weekend with my truck thanks
Run a 5w40 oil and get some Rev-X instead of Hot Shots.
REV-X Oil Additive | Diesel Fuel Additive | High Performance Oil
Old 12-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I like the 5W40 T6 (and the Mobil 1 TDT 5W40). It is a good year-round oil. That being said, there are a number of knowledgeable users of T5 10W30 that like it. I personally would not tow heavy in hot weather w/ the 10W30 though.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:48 PM

I run a 10w-30 year around (not the Rotella version) with NO extra additives, the truck currently has about 140,000 mi. with all original injection system. If the Rotella 10w-30 is what you want then give it a try, nothing to fear.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I run 5/40 syn. I would have NO problem putting a 30w oil in my motor. Heck, the new 6.7 calls for 10/30.

I just keep my 5/40 because it works so well with my truck.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Emergency Services

I run t6 5-40 as well, I would use that over the t5, but then again we have temps so high here in the summer that 30wt oil is so thin its like water!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
Heck, the new 6.7 calls for 10/30.
That is not a good point to make. The 6.0L and 6.7L are totally different engines.
The 6.0L can not be put in the same view and compared with tolerances of the the 6.7 and how they use and treat engine oil. The design of all of the lubricating parts of the engines are not designed in the same way.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z7mathews6.0 View Post
Hot shots has not had the same % of success with the number of uses, as rev-x has.

I would start with the new oil and see how that goes. If you eventually get cold start issues, start with rev-x.

Also, look at my sig and test the FICM. You can do this when ever. This is another cause for running issues.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
That is not a good point to make. The 6.0L and 6.7L are totally different engines.
The 6.0L can not be put in the same view and compared with tolerances of the the 6.7 and how they use and treat engine oil. The design of all of the lubricating parts of the engines are not designed in the same way.
Just saying, not comparing... Most people think all diesels require 15/40.

A 30w oil is fine in a 6L in cold regions.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 12-25-2011, 01:40 AM

I use 15/40 rotella in my 04 6.0,i change it every 3500 miles,I also plug the block heater in and have a magnetic oil pan heater,keeps oil warm overnite in winter. I used to test shell products,as part of a caterpillar program from the late 80's,thru the 90's,I have seen 3406b and C truck engines w/750k miles torn down with no sign of oil related issues,most would be able to re-use oem rod and main bearings. with rods and mains and turbo bearings rebuiltat oem specs and intervals,these engines are capable of running well in excess of 1 million miles,and they all do. now the 6.0 and the 3406 are 2 different animals,but just sayin', rotella has been recognized as an industry icon,long before walmart started selling it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.