If you've had a transmission problem please read. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you've had a transmission problem please read.

Some of you have already read my issue in another thread.

Re-Did my Head Gaskets [Pics] + Weird Transmission Issue

Well today it came back, with a vengence.

I was rolling out of a stop, put my foot into it. Spun the tires bad, let off in 2nd just as I let off it hard shifted into 3rd. Tow/Haul starts flashing and the transmission goes into limp mode. (meaning it feels like it starts in 5th gear and only shifts to 6th.)

Pull codes:

P0767 Transmission Solenoid D stuck ON (this is the direct solenoid)
P2703 Transmission Friction Element D Apply Time Range/Performance

I JUST put in a GOGO direct solenoid last week along with 9 qts of SP and new filters.

So I removed the pan and took out the solenoid. No evidence of sticking. Sprayed her down real well with brake clean and blew it off. Put it back in, still doing the same thing.

Keep in mind earlier in the week this exact limp mode issue happened yet there were NO CODES in the computer and after sitting over night the truck shifted fine I was doing great all week! Made a few WOT runs in 4x4 and everything felt PERFECT.

I checked all my wiring connections, looked for corroded wiring, everything is good. This is starting to drive me nuts, I just put 23+ hours into the truck only to have it barely driveable. I would appreciate any input, this is no way to spend Christmas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
that sucks, wish I had a great answer for you, I know in the other thread someone suggested checking the fuzes I believe there are two that are associated with the trans. On an older f250 my trans went into limp mode when the speed sensor in the diff, went out I'm not even sure if the 05's had them but it did throw codes also.

if nothing else call this a bump and good luck
Old 12-24-2011, 05:49 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Try putting the oem solenoid back in.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:00 AM

I'm going to trying swapping solenoids now..

Another thing i noticed. Just cold started my truck after sitting all night (25*) and the trans gauge was reading about 1/4 way warm. I want to think there's an issue with the temp sensor but I'm not getting a code for that and doesn't the gauge usually just die?
Old 12-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
in all honesty you probably cooked your direct clutch. This isn't all that uncommon on tuned trucks
Old 12-24-2011, 11:12 AM

Hmm. Interesting. I just swapped solenoids and I'm getting the same situation. Only 5th and 6th gears are available. I can't scan it at the moment but I'm assuming its the same codes.

If the direct clutch IS toasted, is driving the truck in limp mode harmful to it? Just for a bit while I get together a rebuild kit and stuff?
Old 12-24-2011, 11:23 AM

sounds like the biggest issue is that you have a heavy right foot,
Old 12-24-2011, 11:24 AM

And another thing that is throwing me off is the fact that it's been intermittent. The tow/haul flashed a week ago, parked it over night then it was fine all week. Can a blown direct clutch make perfect shifts at WOT with a race tune?
Old 12-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think my gogo solenoid finshed off the direct clutch as well. I have all forward gears tho. Just slams and slips when shifting to the direct clutch. How fuzzy was your magnet in the pan? Does it make a difference if the truck is tuned or not? Hope you figure it out.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ohslow View Post
I think my gogo solenoid finshed off the direct clutch as well. I have all forward gears tho. Just slams and slips when shifting to the direct clutch. How fuzzy was your magnet in the pan? Does it make a difference if the truck is tuned or not? Hope you figure it out.
There wasn't much material on it at all, I used a screen filter funnel when I put the old fluid back in today after swapping solenoids and there were some particles but nothing severe or out of the ordinary. Then again, I don't know what to look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.