Cold start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold start

I own a 2006 f-350 ford. After i bought the truck brand new, everyone told me it was of the worse ford I could buy and had lots problems. In six years my front end shimmied and had to clean out my egr valve. But now I have to warm it up for 20 minutes everyday before it will idle and drive without hesitation. I regularly change the oil and fuel filter will bad glow plugs cause this problem or was everyone just right and this truck just not built to last. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm no diesel mechanic but this sounds to me like a glow plug issue. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Check your FICM voltage. Is it getting harder to start and feel like it has a miss after it starts?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Check your FICM voltage. Is it getting harder to start and feel like it has a miss after it starts?
Mine does that on really cold mornings. Take about 4-5 sec to turnover and has a miss. Is that due to FICM voltage?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wow 2 things in six years! Not bad is it!

Old 12-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowens677 View Post
Mine does that on really cold mornings. Take about 4-5 sec to turnover and has a miss. Is that due to FICM voltage?
Sure will
Old 12-23-2011, 11:43 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I second the FICM. Mine did that awhile back and I had to replace it. Everything was good to go after that.

From my research, it isn't as common for the GPM (glow plug module) to go out on a 6.0 as it is for the GPR (glow plug relay) to go out on a 7.3.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also just found out the oil change place I go to didn't know I had a second fuel filter under my f350 6.0 2006. Hasn't been changed in 6 yrs. Will this cause my truck to have a hard time with having power first part of the day. Commons sense tell me yes . But you never know. Pisses me off that I bought the truck new and almost have it paid for and something simple like this could ruin all my hard work

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone a
Old 12-23-2011, 08:04 PM

well that doesn't help but I would also consider that you may have some injector stiction. I was having to let my truck idle for 5-10 minutes in the morning just to be able to drive it because it had no power. Just used rev-x for the first time and it seems to have helped quite a bit. I'm sure i'll still need injectors eventually but for now it'll be good, at least after I get the oil cooler and stuff done this weekend.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:38 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey whitehead View Post
I also just found out the oil change place I go to didn't know I had a second fuel filter under my f350 6.0 2006. Hasn't been changed in 6 yrs. Will this cause my truck to have a hard time with having power first part of the day. Commons sense tell me yes . But you never know. Pisses me off that I bought the truck new and almost have it paid for and something simple like this could ruin all my hard work

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone a
Uhhhhh yeah, that is definitely not a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3 View Post
well that doesn't help but I would also consider that you may have some injector stiction. I was having to let my truck idle for 5-10 minutes in the morning just to be able to drive it because it had no power. Just used rev-x for the first time and it seems to have helped quite a bit. I'm sure i'll still need injectors eventually but for now it'll be good, at least after I get the oil cooler and stuff done this weekend.
Always a possibility.

I had a sticking no. 3 injector and had to plug the tuck in for awhile, even when it was warm out, just to get it o start decently. It would take a little while to warm up enough to drive. I used some rev-x a little over a month ago, and the truck starts great now. I have even had it sitting for a day or more in single digit temps, unplugged, and it will crank right up.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to replace both fuel filters, check your FICM voltage, and then go from there. It's too easy to test the FICM and at least eliminate it as the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.