How many amps when truck is off???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 07:01 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How many amps when truck is off????

My batteries keep goin dead , i have both new batteries and a new alternator,
if i let the truck sit for more than 2 days it wont start, i hooked a multimeter to it and seen when the truck isnt running and hood light off and interior lights off i have a 2.9amp draw, just wondering how much of a draw any one elce has????? seems like alot to me but im not to sure,
Thanks Mike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 07:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That seems a little excessive, pull fuses one at a time and watch the meter. If the current flow slows or stops you now know what circuit it is. I believe less than 1a for computer vehicles
Old 12-23-2011, 04:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What you are seeing is way too much draw if you are taking an amp reading after the truck has been off for 5 min or so. you should be only drawing milli Amps (mA), however I do not remember how many is normal. I had a similar problem with my Explorer and after checking the alternator and pulling fuses it turned out to be the battery. if after 5 min or so you still have the 2.9 amp draw then codyrock is right you will need to pull fuses to eliminate the draw. I have also heard that a bad diode in an alternator will cause batteries to draw down over time as well, but I do not know how true it is.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Please post what you find to be the issue. I have a similar issue, but a lower draw.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:08 PM

i pulled some fuses and found when i pull my fuse for the cluster (speedo) i here a relay or sumthing click and the draw goes down to about .18 amp witch seems better , the only thing in the speedo i can thing of using power would be the theft light but that shouldnt draw **** all. i know these trucks are know for the fuse box goin bad aswell as the gem module, and ideas guys???
Thanks Mike.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You might try a search on the web for an electrical drawing. Most of the time the vehicle manufacturer will only put a general description of what that fuse controls. There may be 5 or more things running off of the fuse labeled speedo. I will try and look when I get home to see what I have for electrical drawings that might be of some help. .18 amps sounds much better. I could also be a stuck relay, but without a drawing I would not know where to start.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:34 PM

yeah i kinda think its a stuck relay, but i dont know where to start looking haha
Old 12-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

gem is where id start
Old 12-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do you have anything tapped into the tach? I have heard of remote starts drawing down the battery when connected to the tach without isolation.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutin View Post
What you are seeing is way too much draw if you are taking an amp reading after the truck has been off for 5 min or so. you should be only drawing milli Amps (mA), however I do not remember how many is normal. I had a similar problem with my Explorer and after checking the alternator and pulling fuses it turned out to be the battery. if after 5 min or so you still have the 2.9 amp draw then codyrock is right you will need to pull fuses to eliminate the draw. I have also heard that a bad diode in an alternator will cause batteries to draw down over time as well, but I do not know how true it is.
a bad diode will most certainly draw down your batteries. been there done that lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.