torqueshift fluid change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
torqueshift fluid change

well, Its time to do my 30k tranny fluid service. Actually its 4k past due. I have been trying to decide which route I want to go in having it done. Initially I just thought Id take it to the dealer and let them hook it to their machine and do the fluid exchange. I know the tranny has a thermostatically operated valve in it and in order to get all the fluid out the transmission has to be hot. I know a flush machine could take care of this but I have never been a fan of flush machines. Its not so much the "flush", its the machine itself and the many cars before me that have waited until their tranny was toast and then flushed. Im sure the machines have filters and what not on them but it just scares me. My transmission shifts fine now. I have saw a partial write up about unhooking a cooler line while the truck is running to drain the converter after refilling the pan. I have also saw where people drain the pan, refill, then let it run and drain and refill again. Sometimes another time. I'm not sure how much of the old fluid would be left if I did it this way. The cost would be about the same either way. The dealer quoted me like 150 for the flush plus tax. By the time I buy enough mercon LV to fill the pan 3 times (~21 quarts I think) it would be about the same money. Its not about whats cheaper, its about what is the "best" way to do it. I dont mind getting dirty and doing it myself, I just worry with no converter drain and the tranny having to be hot, my ability to do a proper fluid change on it in my driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 08:20 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
In my opinion if you are changing your tranny fluid every 30k or once a year, then I wouldn't worry about that 20% of the oil you aren't getting to. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-22-2011, 08:26 PM

not once a year, just doing the recommended service. I dont drive very much per year. I bought the truck with 32k on it. Its an 07. It now has 34k on it. Its now 5 years old with the factory fluid in it. Your're supposed to change the tranny fluid at 30k. Im just trying to do my part to keep it healthy. I always try to do at least the minimum recommended service on all my vehicles.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Look at my sig.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:19 AM

Ford doesn't expect you to "flush" the transmission with the Torqshift.

Just do as they say and you will be fine. It really is hard to argue with the engineers and the guys that wrote the maintenance intervals in the owners manual.

I don't know why some folks are so paranoid about this transmissions fluid changes and how often this comes up.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:51 AM

The flush machine at the dealer is not a heated flush machine, it will not get all your fluid out. Do it yourself, drain the pan, refill it. Drive around for 20 minutes or so and repeat. Then do it one more time. You will be good.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:23 AM

When you say drain the pan should you drop the pan and change filter or just drain the pan and refill?
Old 12-23-2011, 04:47 AM

I changed the filter, but since these have an external filter I'm not sure if it is required or not. I think it is a good idea to since you are already there. It's a good time to make sure there aren't any problems, and to clean the pan.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmudrat View Post
When you say drain the pan should you drop the pan and change filter or just drain the pan and refill?
Your manual states when the pan filter/screen needs to be changed.

I think it is every other trans oil change, but I can't remember the interval off the top of my head.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
Your manual states when the pan filter/screen needs to be changed.

I think it is every other trans oil change, but I can't remember the interval off the top of my head.
I'm pretty sure it is every 15k miles for the external transmission filter. I believe it is every 60k miles for the pan filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.