Quick question on new (to me) truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quick question on new (to me) truck

Hey guys, I'm sure that this has been asked before, but I'm not even sure what to search for that would give me the answer I'm looking for, so here goes!

Just bought a 2006 F250 powerstroke, and I don't know if it has the stock "tune" or an aftermarket one. Is there any way (short of taking it to a dealership or buying my own SCT Tuner) for me to be able to determine if it has an aftermarket tune? I have a ScanGauge, but that is my only method of reading the OBDII messages at this time..

My guess is no (to being able to tell), but I figured that the only dumb question is the one left unasked! Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

did you buy the truck from a dealership
Old 12-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep, but long story short, I don't trust that dealership to touch my truck at this point due to a post-sale issue that they failed to resolve (fixed it myself, but they should have fixed it for me since I had just purchased the vehicle a week before, but that is neither here nor there). I do suspect that it might have an aftermarket tune because during the course of them NOT addressing the above mentioned issue (and after they had run diagnostics) they asked me if I had put "the aftermarket tuner" on it. I don't know if they can tell that it has been tuned if it is returned to stock. It is possible that they thought my ScanGauge was a tuner and were referring to that, I'm not sure.

Edited to add: but in the "maybe not tuned" category goes the fact that the speedo isn't corrected for the 35" tires that are on it, and I would think that if it were tuned they would have corrected that!

Last edited by Rhys05; 12-20-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

well why i ask is that dealership are not allowed to sell trucks not running a stock tune...but if its a shaddy place they might not care to take it off and they might have asked you if you tuned to say it voided the warranty or some bs reason to get you to pay more.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, it is a big Ford dealership, but I'm not impressed with their pre-sales inspection so it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I doubt that it's tuned. Most dealerships check for any PCM updates when they inspect it before going onto the lot and, if there are any they will reprogram it which would wipe out any tunes.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would tend to agree that it isn't likely tuned.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
I doubt that it's tuned. Most dealerships check for any PCM updates when they inspect it before going onto the lot and, if there are any they will reprogram it which would wipe out any tunes.
Yeah, this is my default assumption as well. Its just that comment from the service department, coupled with the fact that now that that issue has been resolved (bad FICM and batteries), the truck feels much more peppy than I would have expected from a 100% stock 7800 lb truck! Buut..as to the original question, IS there any way to tell?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
Yeah, this is my default assumption as well. Its just that comment from the service department, coupled with the fact that now that that issue has been resolved (bad FICM and batteries), the truck feels much more peppy than I would have expected from a 100% stock 7800 lb truck! Buut..as to the original question, IS there any way to tell?
A bad FICM will make one sluggish and a good FICM makes a big difference.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

if it has a p1000 in it, its probally got a chip in it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.