Need help deciding what to do with my EGR - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 04:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help deciding what to do with my EGR

Hi, I absolutely hate making a thread for something like this but I am honestly stuck. I drove my 04 F250 down to middle FL yesterday (700+ miles) and on the absolute last leg of the trip my truck threw a code. (Im going to get it checked today but I am positive its the "air flow restriction in EGR valve")

What is the best temp fix?
Find someone who can delete the CEL to get the truck out of limp mode.
Rip the Valve out and clean it in carb cleaner (requires me to find new o-rings)

I don't know what else I can do. As soon as I get back to Ft Campbell I have my FCDP full egr delete and upgraded oil cooler waiting to get put on. I just don't want to destroy my engine trying to get home. I would get it "fixed" at a dealership or shop, but like most americans I don't have that much disposable income this time of year.

I appreciate your guidance,

Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 04:52 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You might be able to pull it and not damage the o-rings (which are $13). Pull the EGR valve and clean it with some carb cleaner. Shutting off the CEL will only be a temporary fix until you get out on the road, where the EGR valve will be commanded to open. It's probably just really dirty and coked up.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:04 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey man I appreciate your advice. I mean I just hit 120xxx on the trip and figured the o-rings would be due. does anyone know if autozone or oreily's can get the o-rings in?

and as far as the delete for when I get home does anyone know if I can take the intake manifold off without taking everything (IE turbo, pulleys, etc.)
Old 12-20-2011, 05:10 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
No, those o-rings are silicon since they are holding back exhaust gases and if you install "regular" ones they will likely just melt. Is there a Ford (or International) dealer near you?

Oh and in order to remove the intake manifold, you will be removing a BUNCH of stuff. Just pay attention to how it comes off, bag and label all parts that get removed and take a bunch of pics to remind yourself how it all goes together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
advice, cleaning, egr, replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.