Help With My Bulletproofing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help With My Bulletproofing

The Problem:

I had the head gaskets replaced last year. I was in a rush, and did not have time to do head studs, nor had I done enough research on the matter (regrettably). In any case, everything has been fine (no coolant puking, loss of power, etc.) until last month, when I noticed the dreaded rough start, white exhaust, losing coolant that we can all identify as a probable EGR cooler failure. Logically, the next failure will be the head gaskets again.

The Solution:

So, in order to stop toying with this damn truck (let's face it, $1800 for EGR and Oil Cooler and $4200 for Head Gaskets is going to get old, in fact it already has) I'm proceeding with the bulletproofing. I've done my research based on colo_dually's "Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD" (thank you by the way). I plan to procure all parts myself, then have the labor done at one of a couple local shops. I prefer Alligator Performance in Post Falls, ID (because they do this $h*t on a daily basis) but we'll see what the mechanic quotes me. Either way, I've compiled a list of parts and would like you pros to look over it to ensure that I have everything I need.

The Truck:

2004 F350 XLT SRW, 4" MBRP Turbo-Back, Cat Delete, 101,000 miles.
Engine Is a 2003 Build (F My Life)

The Parts:

Here's the list of parts I've compiled. What I'm really curious about is the turbo feed and drain tubes as well as the STC fitting and IPR screen with o-rings and the IPR screen kit. I don't believe these apply to my build, being a 2003. Correct me if I'm wrong. Please have a look over my list and let me know if there are things on there that I shouldn't need or things that I'm missing! More importantly, if I have a part number incorrect, let me know!

ARP Head Studs (1) - ARP250-4202
OEM Head Gasket (2) - FO4C3Z-6051-EB
Bulletproof EGR Cooler (Round), Oil Cooler, EGR & Intake Gaskets (BPD Package)
Exhaust Manifold Gasket (2) - FO6C3Z-9448-A
Fuel Pressure Spring Kit (1) - 3C3Z-9T517-AG
Turbo Drain Tube (1) - 6C3Z-9T515-A (Unsure About This, Being A 2003 Engine)
Turbo Feed Line (1) - 3C3Z-9T516-A (Unsure About This, Being A 2003 Engine)
6.4 Banjo Bolts (2) - W302472
6.4 Banjo Washers (4) - W303659
Thermostat (1) - 3C3Z-8575-AA

The Fluids:

I'm torn on whether or not to stick with the Motorcraft Gold or switch to an ELC coolant. I've heard arguments on both sides. Any advice?

Motorcraft Gold Premium Coolant (Concentrate) (4 Gallons)
Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic (4 Gallons)
Fleetguard Restore (1 Gallon)
Fleetguard Restore Plus (1 Gallon)

You Turn:

If you guys have some time, let me know if any of my part numbers are incorrect for my model year. I have a "4EA" vin number. I will be making further modifications once this thing is bulletproofed and worth modifying. 1st on the list is a coolant filtration system (dieselsite.com), followed by an SCT X3 with Innovative custom tunes. And, for those of you wondering about the EGR cooler, I live in an emissions testing county in Washington. Do you think that deleting the EGR cooler all together will increase my exhaust opacity? Max allowable is 40%. Blew 11% last time. If I delete it, then I have to get a tuner to remove the codes because Washington plugs into the OBD to scan for codes.

Thanks a ton for your advice in advance. I'm really looking forward to finally having this out of the way so my truck can play with the big boys, without having to worry about blowing it all to hell...

-SpyderXLT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Definately do the coolant switch and install a coolant filter. Also, do the turbo drain tube and supply line. Both are great upgrades. Would also have turbo serviced while it is out.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The biggest thing you need my friend is something to monitor what is going on with your rig! Thousands can be saved if you just monitor your EOT vs ECT by watching for when then come close to 15 degrees apart. Then flush your system and bulletproof from there.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

2003 Rebuild

Here is some information from Tousley Ford that may help re; your 2003 adn the oil feed line.

3C3Z-9T516-A
$76.96
Updated oil feed tube

Does not fit engines made before 3/18/03 (serial numbers 52777 and lower)

For early build engines, order 3C3Z-6881-CA from OEM catalog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderXLT View Post
The Problem:

I had the head gaskets replaced last year. I was in a rush, and did not have time to do head studs, nor had I done enough research on the matter (regrettably). In any case, everything has been fine (no coolant puking, loss of power, etc.) until last month, when I noticed the dreaded rough start, white exhaust, losing coolant that we can all identify as a probable EGR cooler failure. Logically, the next failure will be the head gaskets again.

The Solution:

So, in order to stop toying with this damn truck (let's face it, $1800 for EGR and Oil Cooler and $4200 for Head Gaskets is going to get old, in fact it already has) I'm proceeding with the bulletproofing. I've done my research based on colo_dually's "Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD" (thank you by the way). I plan to procure all parts myself, then have the labor done at one of a couple local shops. I prefer Alligator Performance in Post Falls, ID (because they do this $h*t on a daily basis) but we'll see what the mechanic quotes me. Either way, I've compiled a list of parts and would like you pros to look over it to ensure that I have everything I need.

The Truck:

2004 F350 XLT SRW, 4" MBRP Turbo-Back, Cat Delete, 101,000 miles.
Engine Is a 2003 Build (F My Life)

The Parts:

Here's the list of parts I've compiled. What I'm really curious about is the turbo feed and drain tubes as well as the STC fitting (you don't have one on an 03) and IPR screen with o-rings and the IPR screen kit. I don't believe these apply to my build, being a 2003. Correct me if I'm wrong. Please have a look over my list and let me know if there are things on there that I shouldn't need or things that I'm missing! More importantly, if I have a part number incorrect, let me know!

ARP Head Studs (1) - ARP250-4202
OEM Head Gasket (2) - FO4C3Z-6051-EB
Bulletproof EGR Cooler (Round), Oil Cooler, EGR & Intake Gaskets (BPD Package)
Exhaust Manifold Gasket (2) - FO6C3Z-9448-A
Fuel Pressure Spring Kit (1) - 3C3Z-9T517-AG
Turbo Drain Tube (1) - 6C3Z-9T515-A (Unsure About This, Being A 2003 Engine)
Turbo Feed Line (1) - 3C3Z-9T516-A (Unsure About This, Being A 2003 Engine)
6.4 Banjo Bolts (2) - W302472
6.4 Banjo Washers (4) - W303659
Thermostat (1) - 3C3Z-8575-AA

The Fluids:

I'm torn on whether or not to stick with the Motorcraft Gold or switch to an ELC coolant. I've heard arguments on both sides. Any advice?

Motorcraft Gold Premium Coolant (Concentrate) (4 Gallons) DUMP the Gold, go with Caterpillar or Zerex ELC after a good flush with the Restore and Restore +
Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic (4 Gallons) Good
Fleetguard Restore (1 Gallon) Good
Fleetguard Restore Plus (1 Gallon) Good
(May want to install Fumoto valves to make the flushing easier)
You Turn:

If you guys have some time, let me know if any of my part numbers are incorrect for my model year. I have a "4EA" vin number. I will be making further modifications once this thing is bulletproofed and worth modifying. 1st on the list is a coolant filtration system (dieselsite.com), followed by an SCT X3 with Innovative custom tunes (Make sure it is capable of clearing your error codes). And, for those of you wondering about the EGR cooler, I live in an emissions testing county in Washington. Do you think that deleting the EGR cooler all together will increase my exhaust opacity? Max allowable is 40%. Blew 11% last time. If I delete it, then I have to get a tuner to remove the codes because Washington plugs into the OBD to scan for codes. A device like the Edge Evolution will not clear these codes. I have tried it several times with mine but no-go)
Thanks a ton for your advice in advance. I'm really looking forward to finally having this out of the way so my truck can play with the big boys, without having to worry about blowing it all to hell...

-SpyderXLT
Good Luck and keep us posted!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinallday05 View Post
The biggest thing you need my friend is something to monitor what is going on with your rig! Thousands can be saved if you just monitor your EOT vs ECT by watching for when then come close to 15 degrees apart. Then flush your system and bulletproof from there.
Definitely, that's on the list to be purchased following the bulletproofing along with the coolant filtration system.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiprek View Post
Here is some information from Tousley Ford that may help re; your 2003 adn the oil feed line.

3C3Z-9T516-A
$76.96
Updated oil feed tube

Does not fit engines made before 3/18/03 (serial numbers 52777 and lower)

For early build engines, order 3C3Z-6881-CA from OEM catalog

Good Luck and keep us posted!!!
I'll check the build date and engine serial. I want to say it is 9/2003. If this is the case, will my original part number suffice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coolant, coolant loss, egr delete, head gasket, white smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.