Refueling - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 04:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Refueling

I've done a search and the one thread that popped up didn't really answer my question; is it bad to refuel our 6.0l's while leaving them running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

In the summertime especially I always leave the 6.0 Excursion or 7.3 Dually running. With as big as the fuel tanks are (44 gal & 38 gal IIRC) and as long as they take to fill up, my wife and son would melt if I shut off the A.C. I can't say if it's good or bad, but I haven't had any issues from it that I'm aware of.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I never shut mine off, same with my 7.3 I had for 2.5 years. I don't see why it would make a difference? Did someone tell you it would hurt the truck?

Funny story, one time I was filling up my 7.3 and this hippie lookin dude pulled up to the pump beside me in a Honda Insight. I had my straight piped 7.3 runnin on high idle in the cold, it wasn't all the way warmed up yet so she was screamin and stinkin! The guy nervously looks at me and says, you know your spark plugs can ingnite your gas fumes and you could kill us? I looked at him and said you know this is a diesel and it doesn't have spark plugs and I'm pumping diesel fuel not gasoline so I guess were good then right? He looked back and said, well............ your killing our planet! Before I could even snap back at him he had the pump back up, his cap on and taking off like I was gonna shoot him. Maybe he knew I was carrying? Oh well typical hybrid driver I guess.

Last edited by colinmitchell111; 12-18-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:30 PM

Hahaha, that's hilarious man. I've got my truck running and plated now and I'm kind of hoping I get some hybrid/smug/high and mighty person telling me off just so I can rebuke. On the other hand, it could get a little ugly depending on how high and mighty they are...
Old 12-18-2011, 05:47 PM

I always leave mine running for my 03 7.3L, never had any issues and I have never heard of any.

In the 2.5 years Ive had my truck Ive never had someone try to start an issue with me about it, though I kinda want someone too, just so I can tell em off!

Kinda weird too, I would think with my age (20) a lot of people would wanna try and teach me a lesson
Old 12-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

You know all the urban legend stories of static electricity sparking off gasoline. I think diesel is much more stable so I doubt you could even light it off with a spark plug, much less a zap from rubbing your shoes on the carpet.

Now in a gasoline car that monitors evap you could turn a check engine light on IF it were to test evap while you were fueling but outside of that I can't see a problem fueling a gas car. I see NO danger in fueling a diesel vehicle. Plus diesel smells better than gas, both going in and coming out.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargar View Post
You know all the urban legend stories of static electricity sparking off gasoline. I think diesel is much more stable so I doubt you could even light it off with a spark plug, much less a zap from rubbing your shoes on the carpet.

Now in a gasoline car that monitors evap you could turn a check engine light on IF it were to test evap while you were fueling but outside of that I can't see a problem fueling a gas car. I see NO danger in fueling a diesel vehicle. Plus diesel smells better than gas, both going in and coming out.

Agreed. Most people don't know that diesel fuel isn't flamable. Unless you mix it with Tide, then it gets crazy!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The reason they say to shut the 6.0 off is because for some reason the fuel sender doesn't respond as quickly and the fuel gauge doesn't show the proper level.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
The reason they say to shut the 6.0 off is because for some reason the fuel sender doesn't respond as quickly and the fuel gauge doesn't show the proper level.
I've noticed in my 6.0 that by the time I'm back in the truck, the fuel gauge is correct. Now my 7.3 took it about 10 mins of driving for the gauge to catch up, or shut it off and start back up.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmitchell111 View Post
I've noticed in my 6.0 that by the time I'm back in the truck, the fuel gauge is correct. Now my 7.3 took it about 10 mins of driving for the gauge to catch up, or shut it off and start back up.
Programming could have an effect on how quick it goes back. Mine is off for a little while after refueling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.