Hooked the truck to a scanner, EOT, ECT #'s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hooked the truck to a scanner, EOT, ECT #'s

Well my buddies dad owns a diesel truck shop. Went over there this morning and he let us take the scanner out. Now I thought my T-stat was bad since I bought the truck(1 month ago). I got a new one from International and was going to put it on yesterday when I installed a coolant filter kit and blue FPR spring but the opening on the housing was a little bigger and the hose wouldnt fit. So I returned it and I'll have to get a new one at the dealer. Anyways, when doing the 65 mph 10 min test, the ECT would only get up to 185 and the EOT was always within 5 degrees up or down. Outside temp was around 35. Then we started beating on it for about 30 mins just to see what happens and after 3 WOT 0-100 runs I got the ECT up to 195-197 and the EOT followed it within 5 up or down everytime. So I know I have a bad T-stat and it's getting replaced but these numbers should still reflect that I have a good oil cooler right or at least not a bad one? Also my FICM V stayed between 47 and 48.5 cycling, cranking, and running so thats good. I'm happier than a pig in poo right now. His dad is a Ford lover but hates the 6.0's with a passion, probably because he has one with in the shop now doing an in cab HG replacement. He after looking at the scanner, he said I have one of the healthiest 6.0's he has ever seen besides the T-stat which I can deal with. I had this sick feeling ever since I bought the truck, I just went off the Ford techs good word that this truck was good to go thinking I was going to have something bad happen. So far so good. After Christmas dies down I will be getting a CTS and EGR delete. After that I should be good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good to see stuff like this now do a Restore only flush after you get the Edge Insight so you can ditch the Gold junk and get ELC coolant in it then you can really sleep at night.
2 stroker
Old 12-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

That is all good news, bought mine about a month ago also, got the cts on and found the same things 5-6 deltas and need thermostat. Lets hope we both get to run the snot out of them.

How many miles on your? 114K on mine
Old 12-16-2011, 09:59 AM

I have 99k. Yeah the coolant is next, forgot to mention that. I am torn on what kind of flush to do because I don't want to risk clogging a good oil cooler. But yeah the gold has to go.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:54 AM

The thing to be aware of is that you can not just drain out the Ford gold, flush only with distilled water and think everything will be ok. You are changing the coolant type, not just the coolant. To change coolant type REQUIRES that you flush using two chemicals. The restore and restore+ flushes serve two different purposes.
The restore chemical flush removes a film that the Ford Gold coolant deposits on the walls of the cooling system to help combat cavitation the goo and slim so you must do the Restore if you feel the Restore+ is not needed then that is the way to go others have with good luck.
What ever you do the Gold must go it just can't take the heat your lucky
2 stroker
Old 12-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Just out of curiosity, what males you know your thermostat is bad? I've always wondered how you tell, and what is it about your ECT readings that make you know?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 12-16-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baycountry16 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what males you know your thermostat is bad? I've always wondered how you tell, and what is it about your ECT readings that make you know?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I see you have the Edge so your ECT should read 192* when at running temp and your EOT should read 196-200* at running temp. There should be a spread of 4-8* between the 2. A stock Ford starts to open at 192.2* and is fully open at 219.2* if a stock t/stat fails they fail open that is why you should use a stock t/stat better open than closed.
2 stroker
Old 12-16-2011, 07:01 PM

I wonder what the odds are of plugging up a good oil cooler while doing a restore flush? Even with a coolant filter.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmitchell111 View Post
I wonder what the odds are of plugging up a good oil cooler while doing a restore flush? Even with a coolant filter.
The coolant filter will do nothing for you it takes a long time to filter all the coolant in the system so when i did the flush i turned off my valves drained the filter then replaced it after all the flushing i turned it on to run clean distilled water through it, if you switch you must do a restore flush to clean the goo must get to 190*+ for about 1hr then drain and this is a must on the driver side block drain.
QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil
You may allready have this
http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family...ush%20v1-0.pdf
2 stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.