coolant test strips part number/where to get - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
coolant test strips part number/where to get

Well, I am debating on what to do with my coolant system. I currenlty have 34k on my 07. All my temps are great and I currently have no problems. Most will say switch to ELC but I think I am just going to stay with the gold coolant. I dont drive many miles anways so I always swap my coolant out in 3 year intervals. I just purchased the truck so Im sure its the factory coolant. Anyways I am going to stop by and get some new gold coolant sometime this week and was wondering what the part number was for the strips. (maybe I could get them online cheaper than ford dealer). Also, is it recommeded to do a full flush with the VC-9 even if your just replacing the gold with more gold? I would think it wouldnt hurt to do the full on flush since everything seems to be in good shape now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 09:37 AM
information regurgitator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you are going to stick with the Ford Gold... Yes, EVERY time you need to replace the coolant (as indicated by the test strip) you must flush the system using the VC-9 chemical (as indicated in the FORD TSB for Diesel Coolant maintenance). You have to use their test strips as far as I know.
Part Number: 328-00001, Rotunda 3-way Anti-freeze test strip kit, (call 1800-ROTUNDA, option #2)

Google "FORD TSB # 09-8-5"
It will tell you EXACTLY what you must do (and when you must do it) if you choose to stick with the Ford Gold coolant.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:56 PM

thanks a bunch for that info. I had read that part number somewhere but wanted to double check to make sure. Just seems it would be more readily available if you're supposed to check it often. I didnt want to start another coolant thread. Ive read enough to make my eyes bleed on it. Seems 90 percent of everyone says go with the ELC coolant. Not that I disagree that that is probably the better way to go, I just feel more comfortable changing mine out every three years. (for me about 30k miles). At that mileage level, I think running the cold coolant will be more than fine. I could be wrong though.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

Follow the results of the test strips of course but recognize that the rule-of-thumb for nitrite based coolants (like G-05) is "new in two" indicating the corrosion inhibiting package is ordinarily depleted in two years not three and certainly not 100k miles. Ford Gold starts on the low side of adequate nitrite levels for sufficient protection. There is an additive package VC-8 that supplements the nitrite levels and based on the initial test strip indications you might require that immediately upon refill. There is less danger than many feel using Gold IF properly maintained - the burden is higher but it's just another fluid requiring regular observation and replacement.

Jonathan
Old 12-19-2011, 07:13 PM

Im gonna pick up some gold this week sometime. Im still torn on the VC-9. My temps run about 3 degrees apart at the max right now so I know everything is in good shape. Truck only has 34k on it. I want to keep it in tip top shape if I can. Seems like doing the chemical flush is just asking for it. I could be wrong though. I may just flush it with distilled water this first go around, then in two years do the chemical flush. Im not denying you are not supposed to use the chemical, but I keep reading threads about people going to the dealer and getting a flush job for 100 bucks out the door. Obviously this cant be "right". I mean how can Ford harp on you for not doing a correct job of a flush when you take the truck to the dealer expecting to get a coolant flush and get a "Spill and fill"?

Last edited by redbandit98; 12-19-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

Will the VC-9 drop out goo clogging the oil cooler?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:26 PM
War is the answer!

I think saying 90% of people say go ELC is low balling a bit I think its more like 99.9999999999%....lol

If your asking if it will clear the oil cooler if it has a clogg then I would have to say no. Its not intended to fix an issue once you have one. It's preventative by design.

redbandit98, your saying you want to keep everything in tip top shape. Keeping it that way with any real certanty mean you would need to switch coolants otherwise its just a matter of time. Its also less maintanence.

Last edited by WarChild; 12-19-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Premium Member

I am asking will the VC-9 cause the oil cooler to clog as it free's up iron?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:13 AM

I know, everyone says go with the ELC. I am not debating its better. The main reason is the warranty. I know, that in itself is a whole other debate. People will say that Ford can not deny the warranty if the coolant meets or exceeds the spec. I agree with that statement...to an extent. It "should" be that way, but to be honest I dont feel like fighting with them if something did come up. I cant be without my truck for two months while I or a lawyer argues with ford over something like this. You all my think its stupid, but I have 5 more years of warranty and I dont want fight with them over something as simple as the type of coolant I run. I think that being preventive and changing it every two years will prevent most of the issues. It does suck that I have to spend the extra money and time to do this, just to make it live longer. Its one of those things that makes you want to do what they recommend, change it every 50k and let everything plug up and have them pay for the repair. They want to deny warranty work becuase of preventative measures such as coolant filters and superior antifreeze, then they can pay for the results of going by their standards. I kind of went off track there at the end. Sorry
Old 12-20-2011, 05:14 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesy_11950 View Post
I am asking will the VC-9 cause the oil cooler to clog as it free's up iron?
Yes. Only do the VC-9 if you are ready to replace the factory oil cooler or it will get clogged up with debris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.