Temporary fix for Thermostat? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 10:23 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Temporary fix for Thermostat?

OK, got my Insight and my ECT is rock solid at 172 going down the highway and 175ish around town. I have a receipt for a thermostat that was replaced back in May of this year, but best guess is that it is either a wrong temp or bad. The simple solution would be to replace it. I am heading on a 2800 mile round trip next week, and I am not sure if I will have a chance to replace it this weekend.

I am thinking of taking a piece of cardboard and making a simple cover for the radiator to allow ECT to get into the normal band. I figure this might allow for better fuel mileage and will also give me a chance to get a true delta between my ECT and EOT. I am thinking about setting an alarm at about 215F to remind me to readjust the cardboard for warmer temps.

Is there anything I am overlooking? I am expecting to see ambient temps. between the 30's and 60's. I wouldn't have considered this except that it seems like there is a noticeable difference between an ECT of 170 and 175.

As a side note, the Insight fits into the driver's side glove box amazingly, and will easily close with the device and cord inside. The only problem is that you have to look down to read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

Jason I am back and forth with this, I see guys saying this is normal and others that say it's to cool. my Insight is reading about the same as yours. in 30 minutes of driving I might see 178 but average is 172. I haven't seen enough to know if we are operating within range or not,
Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine used to do that. I put in a new thermostat and it stays 186-190 on the highway. I would just run it the way it is and replace it with a new one soon.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

I have a better recommendation for a fix of the thermost this weekend.

Drain 1-2 gallons of coolant from radiator into a clean container.
While the coolant drains...
Disconnect 3/8-inch coolant return line from coolant degas bottle and move out of way.
Disconnect cold-side CAC tube from intake elbow.
Loosen lower connection of cold-side CAC tube at intercooler and rotate out of way.
Remove upper radiator hose.
Remove old thermostat (two bolts...save the housing for the next time you flush...easier!).
Install new thermostat.
Install upper radiator hose.
Install 3/8-inch return line.
Refill radiator through the coolant degas bottle using captured coolant.

This won't take long...a little longer that it takes to fashion a cardboard radiator cover and reprogram the Insight perhaps but with better results for a 2,800-mile trip.

The thermostat is readily available online or at Ford or many auto stores:
[RT-1169]Motorcraft Thermostat-RT1169-Ford Diesel Trucks - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks
Overnight shipping is steep of course so I'd check out the local Ford dealer or auto store if you don't want to spend big bucks for delivery.

A properly functioning thermostat begins to open at 192F and is fully open at 219F (they are stamped 89-104C) so a temperature below 190F is usually not a warmed up engine...or it is REALLY cold outside.

Jonathan
Old 12-16-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
I have a better recommendation for a fix of the thermost this weekend.

Drain 1-2 gallons of coolant from radiator into a clean container.
While the coolant drains...
Disconnect 3/8-inch coolant return line from coolant degas bottle and move out of way.
Disconnect cold-side CAC tube from intake elbow.
Loosen lower connection of cold-side CAC tube at intercooler and rotate out of way.
Remove upper radiator hose.
Remove old thermostat (two bolts...save the housing for the next time you flush...easier!).
Install new thermostat.
Install upper radiator hose.
Install 3/8-inch return line.
Refill radiator through the coolant degas bottle using captured coolant.

This won't take long...a little longer that it takes to fashion a cardboard radiator cover and reprogram the Insight perhaps but with better results for a 2,800-mile trip.

The thermostat is readily available online or at Ford or many auto stores:
[RT-1169]Motorcraft Thermostat-RT1169-Ford Diesel Trucks - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks
Overnight shipping is steep of course so I'd check out the local Ford dealer or auto store if you don't want to spend big bucks for delivery.

A properly functioning thermostat begins to open at 192F and is fully open at 219F (they are stamped 89-104C) so a temperature below 190F is usually not a warmed up engine...or it is REALLY cold outside.

Jonathan

Sir,

Thank you for that brief run down of the procedure. It is as I figured and is similar to other thermostats I have changed. The reason I did not think I would get to changing it is because I promised my gf that I would change her clutch and do the brakes on her MINI this weekend. The brakes are pie with the right tool, the clutch pretty much requires dis-assembly of the front drivers side of the car to get the trans-axle out and to the clutch. If I had finished early enough on I had planned on doing the thermostat.

I've done it once and it took me two days. Due to some scheduling allowances, I was able to get the rest of today off. I am now heading to the base to do my thermostat and get my front rotors turned, two birds with one stone and all of that.

As far as a card board piece taking as much time as changing a thermostat, I can see how that might be possible if your IQ is less than or equal to that of the cardboard.

V/R,
MM1
Old 12-16-2011, 05:42 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I have a perfect one sitting at the house, I can overnight it to you tomorrow if you wish. Always read 187 on my edge.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Depends on how cold it is out side. 35 degrees or below just normal town driving I only see 182-186. Thats with a brand new ford thermostat. The truck is lifted though and I think more cold air comes in from the sides and underneath than a stock height truck. above that temp It runs in the 192-196 range.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:42 AM

I'm seeing the same temps... 180's... I'm debating on changing or not.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:55 AM

I just put a brand new thermostat in and I see 184-190. Better than the 174-178 that it was before but still not where I think it should be given the weather
Old 12-16-2011, 04:29 PM

Mine is running at 184-186 now that the weather is in the 40s and low 50s. I think I'm gonna go ahead and change it anyway

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.