Can I mix coolants? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 06:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Can I mix coolants?

Thursday I am going to install a coolant filter kit and upgraded FPR spring. I also have a new thermostat but I might as well wait untill I do a coolant flush for that right if my current one is working fine? I'm not sure what kind of coolant my truck has and I know I will lose some in the filter install process and I will remove the upper hose to get to the FPR a little easier. How much coolant can I expect to lose? I am planning on running this filter durring the winter and doing the restore flush with some elc in the spring. Should I get a gallon of some cat elc and a gallon of distilled water and mix 50/50 and top off or does it have to be the same coolant as whatever is in there now? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 06:17 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unless u want jello in ur cooling system the answer is hell to the no.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:30 AM

So what is the best way of indentifying my current coolant?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 AM
Premium Member

Gold looking color -Ford coolant
red /raspberry - cat elc
Green / wrong stuff

If you drain your fluid into a clean container you can just reuse it.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:22 AM

Just drain out about 1 gallon or 1 1/2 into a bucket then get a gallon of distilled water you may only need 1/2 gallon to fill so you should be good as long as it do not get down to -25 where you live + if the coolant is a -32 now, the Gold junk is a yellow green in color and 99% of the ELC coolant is Red in color.
2 stroker
Old 12-14-2011, 07:31 AM

My cooling system appears very clean and my EOT/ECT differential is completely normal. So with 82K miles I just drained and refilled with Zerex G-05 coolant although I really wanted to use ELC. I just didn't want to mess with flushing and the real possibility of actually causing the oil cooler to become blocked.

So now I have G-05 (50/50) and some Fleetguard Optimax Pre-Mixed (50/50) ELC in my garage. I'm gonna mix up a half quart of each and see what happens over time. I suppose I'll have to heat it up on occasion to 190 on the old stove in the garage to simulate the engine heat. Perhaps stir it once in a while. Can't really create the 16psi pressure though.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:39 AM

Ok so if I drain out let's say a gallon and a half out if the radiator will that drain the heater hose so when I cut it, it won't spill everywhere?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil View Post
My cooling system appears very clean and my EOT/ECT differential is completely normal. So with 82K miles I just drained and refilled with Zerex G-05 coolant although I really wanted to use ELC. I just didn't want to mess with flushing and the real possibility of actually causing the oil cooler to become blocked.

So now I have G-05 (50/50) and some Fleetguard Optimax Pre-Mixed (50/50) ELC in my garage. I'm gonna mix up a half quart of each and see what happens over time. I suppose I'll have to heat it up on occasion to 190 on the old stove in the garage to simulate the engine heat. Perhaps stir it once in a while. Can't really create the 16psi pressure though.
Well if you use your truck for a grocery getter and don't pull anything the Ford or G-05 will work but should be flushed ever 30k because in the long run it will get you, because with all the oil cooler problems on ALL the forums it has to say something about the Ford Gold Junk. Ford even has said you must change at 50k and not the 100k as stated in there books that should tell you something that they don't have a lot of faith in there coolant when it come to the 6.0 but they will not say there is a problem with it, what a joke just like the fuel problems with the new 6.7 even the 6.4 you have to eat the $10,000 cost at 35k with warranty for a new fuel system what a joke. So i will do everything to keep mine running right my deltas are ECT 192-194* EOT 200* when pulling add 10* to each.
2 stroker
Old 12-14-2011, 08:10 AM

You may spill a pint or a qt it's all in how good you are just plan ahead..
2 stroker
Old 12-14-2011, 08:32 AM

If you spill a quart or less, just top off with distilled water. I would drain a few gallons first and then pour that back in when you're done.

No point changing the thermostat until you do the flush, and when you do, switch to a red ELC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.