6.0 Newbie with EGR question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Newbie with EGR question

Hi all, I just picked up my very first powerstroke. It's a super clean 2005 F-250 crew cab lariet. It is completley stock and has no modifications whatsoever. It is running in perfect condition. No issues at all. As a preventive maintenance I want to delete the EGR as many have here on the forum. My question is If I delete my EGR should I do the Coolant flush prior to doing the EGR delete? I am worried because I thought I read somewhere here that if I do the flush more than likely it will clog my Engine oil cooler faster? Or should I just swap out the Ford gold coolant with the ELC. Also, from what i got from the previous owner he said all maintenance was done on schedule and coolant was flushed every 5,000 miles by a local ford dealer so I'm 99% sure it has the fold gold coolant in it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It may look/run/sound in perfect condition, but until you know what your ECT/EOT delta is, your driving blind.

You need to monitor/check your ECT/EOT delta, fuel psi, and FICM volts first, before you decide to spend money on deletes. No sense on working on the motor before you know what it may need.

This link will give the basics.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 12-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Coolant flushed every 5,000??? Listen to the advice above, start with a monitor and coolant filter.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:30 PM

I would still do an EGR delete and coolant flush (because both are known weak spots). Sure it may clog an already stopped up oil cooler (another known weak spot), but at least it will be flushed so you won't clog up the new oil cooler (which are on a 2 month national back order).

But yes, you definitely need gauges to monitor the general health of the truck.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by code.mafia View Post
I would still do an EGR delete and coolant flush (because both are known weak spots). Sure it may clog an already stopped up oil cooler (another known weak spot), but at least it will be flushed so you won't clog up the new oil cooler (which are on a 2 month national back order).

But yes, you definitely need gauges to monitor the general health of the truck.
Why would you waste your time deleting and flushing just to find out later that you should have replaced the oil cooler while you had the motor apart, you would just be doubling your down time or spending more money in labor costs.

This is why the OP needs to get a monitor solution first before he rips into the motor. Do it right the first time, check the health of the motor, then fix the issues.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:44 AM

The reason I said that was that I was going to delete her EGR cooler (it was getting real bad) and flush her coolant system then drive it for a week and do the oil cooler the next weekend. Sure it's more work but it would keep from clogging the new oil cooler. I would definitely flush it now then you can do both projects (egr delete + oil cooler if needed) at once later. But her egr was getting bad and sure enough her oil cooler is toast too so I'm waiting on that to arrive, probably tomorrow and doing the oil cooler this weekend. Now I have no choice but to flush after both are done.

If her egr wasn't so bad I would have flushed first. She actually had green coolant in hers that the previous owner put in there.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:05 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by code.mafia View Post
The reason I said that was that I was going to delete her EGR cooler (it was getting real bad) and flush her coolant system then drive it for a week and do the oil cooler the next weekend. Sure it's more work but it would keep from clogging the new oil cooler. I would definitely flush it now then you can do both projects (egr delete + oil cooler if needed) at once later. But her egr was getting bad and sure enough her oil cooler is toast too so I'm waiting on that to arrive, probably tomorrow and doing the oil cooler this weekend. Now I have no choice but to flush after both are done.

If her egr wasn't so bad I would have flushed first. She actually had green coolant in hers that the previous owner put in there.
AAHH, but this is not your thread and your situation is different than the OP.

He needs to monitor/check the health of the motor first to see which direction he need to go.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the replies. So I guess first thing I'm doing is buying a edge insight. I also confirmed I do have the ford gold coolant. So should I just leave that coolant in the truck?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by riniguez03@sbcglobal.net View Post
Thanks for all the replies. So I guess first thing I'm doing is buying a edge insight. I also confirmed I do have the ford gold coolant. So should I just leave that coolant in the truck?
Leave it in for now, then check your ECT/EOT delta. Depending on how bad/good your delta is, will determine if you can get away with a full coolant flush, a reverse coolant flush, or a coolant flush and oil cooler replacement.

Now this will also depend if your thermostat is stuck open, too low of a coolant temp will not give you a true delta reading.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:43 PM

I don't mean to steal this thread but how do you tell which coolant you have? Also, which monitor is recommended? I don't have much cash to spend but would definitely like to add performance as well, probably later because of the money (unless there is one out there that is actually affordable). Coach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.