Does anyone use a winter front - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does anyone use a winter front

Does anyone use a winter front, on their truck or a little cardboard in front of the radiator.
This is my first winter with a diesel, Will the heater work OK down to 10f with out the
front being blocked off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 06:43 PM

I have used card board from time to time. It works great as long as it does not rain/snow. But I switch to plastic this year.
It also holds the heat in longer.

You have gagues, BUT, I do not suggest this if you can not monitor the engine temps with gauges.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Up here in the Great White North It often gets down to -26F and I haven't had any problems yet with my heater. Takes a h..l of a long time to heat up and you don't want to idle long because it cools down awefull fast but that's it. Sure as heck would'nt want to be without heated seats though. Can't wait to see what happens after I put in the new Bulletproof oil cooler kit with the cold weather package to see if things change at all. Brrrr
Old 12-12-2011, 10:40 PM

Dee, start a thread when you do! Us Canadians really need to see this thing in action when it gets to -30...I'm sure Ontario is a week or so overdue for it's monthly blizzard

I myself haven't used a front, but this is my first winter with a diesel as well. Sure does cool off fast, but I'd like to hear more opinions
Old 12-13-2011, 03:40 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
Dee, start a thread when you do! Us Canadians really need to see this thing in action when it gets to -30...I'm sure Ontario is a week or so overdue for it's monthly blizzard

I myself haven't used a front, but this is my first winter with a diesel as well. Sure does cool off fast, but I'd like to hear more opinions
Sure will. Hail to El Nino! It was just beautiful yesterday barely needed a sweatshirt. The only front I've used in five years is a screen in summer because of buds in my rad.

I will qualify though. One of the service techs at the dealer told me right out of the gate not to use a rad cover when I bought the truck. He said by the time the gauge reads an overtemp it'll be too late, these 6.0's are finicky. He also pointed out that it's not like the big rigs where the slats are thermostatically controlled. Guess I was a little gun shy after hearing that.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:20 AM

Out in west texas I did and down here a little too. Mainly cause I took a lot of short trips. I didn't have a ECT gauge so idk exactly how well it worked. It wasn't too noticeable. But it's all at 20*F or above.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 AM

It's goten to 10*f and heat that blows of it is still way to warm for me! I keep the temp knob in the middle and it's just perfect.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 12-13-2011, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I use cardboard in front of mine once the outside temperature goes to -30*, I only get about 3/4 of the rad covered with all the brackets and braces in front of the rad and haven't had no problems with overheating to date. I've done this to all the diesels I've owned as well as a couple of gas pods.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:15 AM

I use the FIA one. I don't put it on till it gets to 30* and below, and I leave the vents on it open until it's below 15*. Seems to help in town keepin the truck at a steady temp.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Emergency Services

I have the BPD cooler and cold weather package and I've been watching my temps this fall to see exactly what effect a front has on the truck. The details are here.

Blocking off the air flow with a piece of cardboard behind the grill brought up my oil temp up 20* to 190* at highway speed and 32* outside air temp. My coolant temp stayed at 190* with or without the cardboard in place. The oil temp also stayed at 190* down to 20* outside temp.

I still haven't had a full day of what I would call cold (not that I'm complaining) so I'm not sure how much it will help at -40*, we'll see soon enough, the last week of Dec and first week of Jan are typically -20*C to -30*C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.