Anyone had external damage from EGR delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone had external damage from EGR delete

I was just talking to a friend with a 6.0 a he said he has been reading about damage done because a EGR deletes where installed and that takes away support causing stress and damage. Can anyone tell me more or if there is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

No offense but that sound crazy. I even went with the cheapy 120 dollar kit and its holding up well.

I really dont know how so...The up pipe exhaust?....Its a cap thats it, its not connected to the intake anymore which to me would help more and not put stress on the pipe.

MAYBE if the person has a oil cooler going out and uses it as a crutch but thats all I can think of.

Even all the ford techs I know (7) say get rid of the thing if you can.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:03 PM

Yea that's BS. An EGR cooler isn't going to add any measurable strength to the block or intake in fact I'm sure it moves and pushes (stresses) on the intake as it expands and contracts (exhaust moves more because it changes temps quicker than a thick cast iron block). EGR cooler isn't attached to the block, just the intake on the passenger side of the valley.

The up pipes are probably about equivalent in wall thickness.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Glow Plugs Only

Your friend is probably referring to EGR deletes where the old cooler is removed and the stock up pipe is still in place with a plug in the outlet and not being supported by the EGR cooler any longer. It puts stress on the corregations of the up pipe and they may fail causing exhaust leaks and gasses which may enter the truck cab. That's why they sell solid replacement up pipes with no corregations and no need for support with the full EGR delete kits. If the EGR is in place and just blocked off still clamped to the up pipe there isn't an issue.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee004 View Post
Your friend is probably referring to EGR deletes where the old cooler is removed and the stock up pipe is still in place with a plug in the outlet and not being supported by the EGR cooler any longer. It puts stress on the corregations of the up pipe and they may fail causing exhaust leaks and gasses which may enter the truck cab. That's why they sell solid replacement up pipes with no corregations and no need for support with the full EGR delete kits. If the EGR is in place and just blocked off still clamped to the up pipe there isn't an issue.
Even then, the up pipe is supported on top (y pipe) and bottom (exhaust manifold). The outlet to the EGR is very close to the top. The 'corregations' that you mention are the flex joint. Stainless, like many alloys, squirms/moves when it gets heated up. The flex joint is actually what makes it last, instead of cracking at a weak weld joint because it allows a slight bit of movement as the metal heats and cools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.