socket "beef" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
socket "beef"

okay, Im getting ready to do my first oil and fuel filter change on my 6.0. I looked at my water separator and the cap looked pretty rounded off. I went ahead and ordered a new one so I wouldnt be stranded if I couldnt make the old one work. Anyways while Im at the store I pick up a "lisle" fuel/oil socket. I think ford makes one too. Why in the hell do they even sell these things? Im guessing I will have a bunch of people chime in and tell me they work fine, but I just cant see how. The water separator is a 35mm and the oil cap is 36mm. That being said, the socket obviously has to be a 36mm. It doesnt fit the 35mm one very snug at all and on a piece of plastic, I can see how they get stripped out. I know its any easy solution, buy a 36mm socket and a 35mm one. Its just the fact they sell them knowing they are plastic and they will strip with the first spin of the ratchet. oh well, ill get off my soapbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've never used the Lisle socket but I've used the snap-on socket a bunch and never had an issue. This is the one I use....

S3624, Socket, Filter Flip, 24 and 36mm, 3/8" square drive

It's nice because you can do all the filters with it. You just have to use a short extension with it. Now if you want to complain about something, why do the put the 1/2 cutout in the small fuel filter cap? This will break the cap pretty much every time. I think they do it to sell more filter caps......
Old 12-12-2011, 04:07 PM

Working at my last job, the lower fuel filter on a 6.0 and 6.4, oil filter on a 6.0, 6.4, and Eseries 6.0, we used the same socket for all and never had problems.
Maybe I read it wrong.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yea...I broke my small fuel filter cap last weekend. Didn't crack the whole cap but the nut is toast. Ford wants $57 for a new one....can get a nice billet alum. for $42. No brainer what I am going to do!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:09 PM

I dont know, mines a 36mm too so maybe Im just overreacting. I guess since there is such a low torque spec they think using the 36mm on the 35mm will be fine. I'm not chancing it though, damn cap was 28 bucks. It may be because it is dorman part instead of a ford part. I mean I would think it would be exactly the same, but I tried it on the brand new cap and it was pretty dang loose. Loose enough that I woudnt want to chance messing it up. Ill put a caliper on it sometime and see what the actual difference is, just for my own curiosity.

Last edited by redbandit98; 12-12-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post
I've never used the Lisle socket but I've used the snap-on socket a bunch and never had an issue. This is the one I use....

S3624, Socket, Filter Flip, 24 and 36mm, 3/8" square drive

It's nice because you can do all the filters with it. You just have to use a short extension with it. Now if you want to complain about something, why do the put the 1/2 cutout in the small fuel filter cap? This will break the cap pretty much every time. I think they do it to sell more filter caps......
well you said every single thing I was going to say

so......ditto

Old 12-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I use a matco version of the lisle socket. Never had an issue. I've bought the lisle socket for a few of my friends who own 6.0's. Never heard of any issues from them either. I was under the impression that both caps where the same. I've held them side by side and can't tell the difference.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:17 PM

Old 12-12-2011, 04:21 PM

maybe Im just a puss? lol Seriously the socket fits nice and snug on the oil filter, but its fairly loose on the fuel filter. Maybe its the cheap china made one I bought instead of the ford part. Oh well Ill just buy a cheap socket to go with my cheap cap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.