2005 f250 6.0, high deltas, need advice on parts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 04:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 f250 6.0, high deltas, need advice on parts

I've got a 2005 f250 6.0 with 154k miles on it that I bought a few thousand miles ago. Truck has been running great besides a little injector stiction which rev-x helped with a little. Well after reading on here for a while I decided to buy a scangauge 2 and see what kind of condition my truck is in. Unfortunately it's not so good. It appears my thermostat might be stuck open a little because max temp I normally see is about 182-184 but my oil is getting up to about 214-220 so obviously my oil cooler is shot. Coolant in degas bottle looks fine so I don't think the egr cooler has ruptured yet but I want to get this taken care of asap and I will be doing the work myself. I need to get everything ordered so I don't have to wait on parts once I start working on it. I was going to buy the kit on ebay thats like $540 for oil cooler, egr delete and intake gaskets. I know I need to get new coolant and chemicals for flush but not sure how much of what I will need. Also planning on buying a coolant filter. Can anyone give me some quick advice on parts and reputable places to buy from? Any new seals for turbo or lines? Anything that should be replaced while it's torn apart that's not too expensive? I don't have a ton of money to spend so head gaskets and studs cannot really be done right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you can find an oil cooler repair kit, snatch it up. They are on nationwide backorder. All the local dealers are out except two and the couple they had, they wouldn't sell, holding for warranty repairs. I found a link on amazon and then found the actual online retailer and called them to make sure they had it because I had already called 10 other places that said they had it on their web page but when you called they were out of stock. If you end up just buying an oil cooler kit, the Ford/International part number is: 3C3Z-6A642-CA

Does the egr delete kit you're buying include the up pipe? I highly recommend it. I can't believe how big the scoop/diverter is in the factory up pipe to direct exhaust flow into the EGR cooler. There's got to be some performance increase by getting that out of the exhaust flow to the turbo.

I paid $167 from egrdeletekit.com for mine. Paid $332 (1Aauto.com) plus shipping for my oil cooler repair kit and the intake gaskets are about $10-20. I'm doing a coolant system flush because hers had the green crap in it and I topped it off with Gold when it first started loosing coolant because thats what I thought it had in it (looked gold in the degas bottle). For a coolant flush you will need 3.5 gallons of ELC EC-1 Coolant. I got some Peak Final Charge at O'reillys. You will need 24-25 gallons of distilled water for the coolant flush (3 distilled water flushes plus the final fill 3.5 gallons of coolant + 3.5 gallons of distilled water. You will need one gallon of Fleetguard Restore and one gallon of Fleetguard Restore+ during the flush. I had to do some searching to find it, I got a local cummins dealer to order the Restore+ for me, they had the Restore in stock. I paid $26 for the Restore and $30 for the Restore+. There are plenty of articles and threads on here telling the proper procedure. I'm doing the reverse flush to get everything out of the oil cooler, heater, radiator and degas bottle.

Might as well do the blue spring fuel pressure regulator upgrade. Tousley's Ford has a special on this kit for $51 I think (might as well extend the life of your fuel injectors while you're in there). Of course new oil and a motorcraft oil filter. The one I'm working on (little womans) had a little coolant in the oil so I'm probably going to do a couple of oil changes on it to flush it, then one final oil change. Rotella T6 synthetic 5W-40 is $21 a gallon at Walmart...I bought 12 gallons.

I also bought a turbo mounting kit, gives you a new gasket for the oil inlet, new turbo mounting bolts, new o-rings for the inlet and drain tubes and one other bolt that looks like one of the 3 bolts used for the inlet and outlet...don't know why there wasn't 3 bolts. I believe there are upgraded inlet and drain tubes but I didn't have time to get those.

That's all I can think of. Just started this whole project (egr cooler delete + coolant flush) this weekend and discovered the coolant in the oil so now it's turned into an egr cooler delete + oil cooler + coolant system flush project.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the response! I've done a lot of work on my cars including rebuilding engines on my 300zx and 350z but this is my first diesel. I've been researching for a while but still feel a little lost as to exactly which parts are must haves. I've read that I should do stc fitting and possible some parts on the hpop? My truck gets used for work and occasionally pulls 15-18k lb trailer but after seeing what my delta is right now it's going to have to take it easy till I can work on it which might be this weekend. I'd like to get everything ordered and here. As for the restore, can I order it online or do you know if any chain stores like autozone, napa, or advance can order it? What's the difference in the oil cooler kit and the oil cooler repair kit, I didn't think the oil cooler was repairable as I thought it got clogged up. Here's the one on ebay I found - eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices . Also I found this site that says they have the oil cooler for $300 - Ford Oil Cooler 3C3Z-6A642-CA .
I would really hate to get this truck torn down and start putting it back together only to realize that I'm missing a gasket or some other part I should have replaced.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:41 PM

Oil cooler kit and oil cooler repair kit is the same. You reuse the housing, replace the core and o-rings. I'm not crazy about the egr delete kit at ebay, it uses a rubber hose for the coolant return, which I guess would be OK, but you could buy one with a nice steel tube, in fact my whole kit is polished stainless for $167. All together I spent $20-30 less than that kit which would cover any difference in shipping and you'll get a better egr cooler delete kit.

I didn't replace the STC fitting. If you've got the time and money you can do that too. I haven't seen near as many complaints on that as I have the oil cooler, egr cooler delete and blue spring upgrade mod.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:47 PM

I saw the egr delete kits on ebay for like $130 by themselves. I didn't want to spend the $300 for the sinister one as It didn't look that much diffferent. I was planning on leaving the egr valve in place and plugged in to help prevent a code. I thought I also read something about dummy plugs but I'm not even sure what they are or if I need new ones? Any idea if the drain lines for the turbo have to be replaced? Where did you get your egr delete kit and do you have a link? Are you saying I'm pretty much screwed on finding a new oil cooler? I need to find one somewhere lol.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:54 PM

EGR Delete Kit | Ford 6.0 Liter EGR Delete, $169 with free shipping, polished stainless, nice kit.

I got my oil cooler, ordered it today and they shipped it today from A1 Auto Recyclers, I'd call them tomorrow, see if they have one in stock and get it ordered ASAP. Those are being bought up quick, they've been on national backorder for 2 months now. So whatever you find, buy it. If they are out, just do a google search on that part number and start calling till you find one.

I don't think that 2005's are supposed to throw a code if you do an EGR delete, they do on the 2006's which is what hers is so I'm leaving it in place for her. As soon as I get a tuner for hers I'll take it out and put the block off plate in place.

I think the dummy plugs are for when you do head studs because they go inside the valve covers ( i think? ). The drain line for the turbo is a ford updated drain line. I'm not replacing hers, I didn't have time to get it all in here in time because I just found the bad oil cooler late Saturday. Again, if you have the time and money, get it, but I'm not sure it's a must have item like an oil cooler or egr delete.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM

Sorry, it's 1A Auto : Aftermarket Auto Parts, Car Body Parts, Replacement & New Automobile and Truck Parts | Buy Discount Car & Auto Parts Online, here's the link to the oil cooler:

Ford F350 Truck Oil Cooler Repair Kit at 1AAuto.com with how-to installation video.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There are tons of oil coolers on eBay for around $300. I think I am going to pick one up now just in case prices get really crazy. Even though I am not going to do the replacement till late Spring.

Did see this on eBay though....a oil cooler with only 150,000 miles on it for a starting bid of $10.

Seller states and I quote, "It was replaced as part of a EGR deleted kit that was installed on the truck. The EGR was leaking and was recommended that this cooler to be replaced as well. There is no known problem with this cooler with no oil sluge build up and was in working condition."

Guess he does not realize that the reason his EGR Cooler was leaking was because this oil cooler is shot. Unbelievable!

2005 Ford 6.0l Oil Cooler | eBay

Last edited by Face Down; 12-12-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Down View Post
There are tons of oil coolers on eBay for around $300. I think I am going to pick one up now just in case prices get really crazy. Even though I am not going to do the replacement till late Spring.

Did see this on eBay though....a oil cooler with only 150,000 miles on it for a starting bid of $10. Seller states and I quote, "It was replaced as part of a EGR deleted kit that was installed on the truck. The EGR was leaking and was recommended that this cooler to be replaced as well. There is no known problem with this cooler with no oil sluge build up and was in working condition." Guess he does not realize that the reason his EGR Cooler was leaking was because this oil cooler is shot. Unbelievable!

2005 Ford 6.0l Oil Cooler | eBay

Exactly!

I wouldn't give $10 for it. Had a guy try to sell me a used oil cooler today when I was looking for a kit. I said "I might call you back if I can't find a new one...".

You never know if a used one is any better than the blown one you have now.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the help, I'll get the egr delete and oil cooler ordered today. code.mafia did you receive your egr delete from that website? Just wanted to make sure you actually received it as the website seems a little poorly done and wanted to make sure it's legit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.