MPGs and my expectations - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPGs and my expectations

I have done all the 6.0 "fixes" that I can think of and need advice about my fuel milage. Its a 04 2wd extd cab 250 and Im averaging about 16-17mpg. Heres what Ive done in the last 5000k miles(truck has 128K), new heads, studs, edge evo, oil cooler, egr delete, onyx head gaskets, all new sensors(ipr, icp, cam, crank, fuel etc), deleted muffler only, injector orings, water pump, all pulleys, belt, batteries, brakes, elc coolant. Im thinking about hollowing out my cat to make the truck a straight through exhaust system and wondering if I will regret doing this. I dont want a loud obnoxious sounding truck and I dont want/have a tip on it. Im just trying to maximize fuel effeciency and longevity of this engine. Any suggestions are welcome and what are you getting as fuel mileage on yours?
Thanks
Caleb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

15 with bed full of tools. stay off the throttle and mpgs definetly go up. scangauge will help you see what your getting in real time and also gives good avg. mpg. dont trust stupid overhead computer

Last edited by neffco; 12-12-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I get around 18 mpg. Mine is a 4wd though so a 2wd should get a little more. Mods are in my sig. I got about 2 mpg out of the SCT tuner and some custom tunes. MPG also has a lot to do with the strategy that your ECM has on it.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:17 AM

I am just using the edge evo on the economy setting and achieving this. Im using the old fashion calculate by hand which could have some error in it. I dont drive it like stolen but I dont baby it either. Turbo needs a good wrok out now and then! I think Im gonna take the cat off this weekend and be done with it and see where that leads me. The next two mods on my list are a new intake system and the coolant filter. Sure wish money grew on trees and Id have the perfect truck. Ive got a 400 mile trip coming up pulling the trailer so Ill see what she does then. Thanks for the replies.

Caleb
Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Save the money that you will spend on the intake and get a oil bypass kit or something else. A quick search on here will turn up tons of this on CIA. The stock intake can support up to 500 HP and it will filter everything out of the air. It is the best thing for the engine. I know they are expensive ($80) but that is cheaper than having to buy a turbo or a reman engine. They also can hold a lot more dirt before having to clean/replace. I just wait until my air-minder tells me to change it. They are a PITA to get in and out but it will get a lot easier to do especially if you do your own work to the truck. I can change mine in about 5 min now. JMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.