Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Ok, Let's talk about the EGR....

771 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Lilpooh 
#1 ·
Sounds like this is a key failure point from what I have read.

The EGR can fail, or the EGR Cooler can fail.

Is there a good way to test the EGR to know if it's bad?

Is there a good way to test the EGR Cooler to know if it's bad?

What are the signs of each of these going bad or not working correctly?

What is the benefit of installing a EGR delete kit?

:ford:

#2 ·
#3 ·
Thank's lilpooh,

That is a good write up. I bought my truck used with 73,000 miles on it. I have no idea how the previous owner treated this truck. I have since changed the oils and filters, done the coolant flush etc.

Is there a way to know or test the EGR and EGR cooler to know if they are going bad? Or do I just have to wait untill I am on the side of the road?

I live in Yuma Arizona with no emission laws, Is a EGR delete kit a good idea for reliability?

Thanks

#4 ·
If your EGR cooler is bad, then your truck will either blow white smoke out the tailpipe, your coolant will mysteriously go missing, or it puke coolant out the degas bottle. Possibly all three.

Just get an Edge Insight or Scangauge and monitor your ECT and EOT deltas. It will tell you the condition of the oil cooler which is the root cause of EGR cooler failures. If the temp deltas are in check the chances of EGR cooler failure goes down dramatically.

#7 ·
Unplugging the EGR valve may cause issues with the clutch fan reaching full RPM and VGT vane sweep cycling.

Depending on your strategy, You'll be able to tell if your vanes aren't sweeping at idle, but for fan operation, you'll need to be able to command the fan to full RPM with a diagnostic scan tool.

It's your choice, leave it unplugged and hope for the best, or plug it back in maintain the valve by cleaning it every other oil change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.