Where do I start? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where do I start?

I finally got myself the diesel truck I have wanted. It is an 06 F350 crew cab long box. Now that I have it I am trying to figure out where to start in optimizing its performance, mileage, power, etc. I have got such a wide range of opinions including everything from change out the exhaust to chip it to get a full gauge set to swap out my air filters to K & S to options which will only make my banker cry (and my wife kill me ). The truck has had nothing done to it. It is all factory. Given that I am always budget conscious where would you start? What things would you do? What order would you do them in?
I am looking forward to hearing everyone's input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 05:08 PM

start with guages , or a guage/ tuner combo like edge . monitor you EOT ECT delta and if that checks out ok, look at getting exhaust. straight pipe is the only way to go in my opinion. I wouldn't waste the money on a cold air intake, they don't filter as well as your stock set up. plus the stocker is reportedly good for 500 hp.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What are you going to be doing with the truck? Different goals will lead down different paths. There are some things any 6.0 should have/fix. Guages for egt ect eot and fp, upgraded fuel pressure spring and an egr delete. Depending on power goals you may want sct and exhaust. Keep your air filter stock.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The first thing I would do is change the coolant if the delta's are good. That will save you for awhile if everything is good. And def. do the blue spring it's cheap and easy and keeps the injectors happy.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You need to check the health of the motor first before you start adding the fun stuff.

A monitor solution like the ScangaugeII or Edge Insight CS/CTS will be a good choice. The ScangaugeII will monitor everything except EGT and fuel psi, you'll need seperate gauges for that. The Edge Insight CS/CTS with expandable cable will do it all.

After you have a monitor solution, your gonna want to check the health of the motor. This link here will get you started.

Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

After you take care of what ever issues you find, then start addressing those issues and while you have the motor apart, update any OEM parts that Ford has out updated (STC fitting, turbo oil feed line, FPR spring, ect, ect). You can find most of that info on this link.
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

After that, your ready for your "man card", and start adding the fun stuff. Proper maintenance is required for the 6.0, be very anal with it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.