New owner, SCT, questions/opinions/verifications... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 09:43 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New owner, SCT, questions/opinions/verifications...

Hey guys, bought an 05 CC a few months back, and slowly been making progress in the 'empty my pockets' small modifications to the truck.

My biggest concern after purchase has been the MPGs, which sat at 10 or less when I bought it. To improve it, I went through the basics: oil change to Rotella T6/Rev-X, changed both fuel filters, changed out to blue spring, ran Diesel Kleen, & changed air filter (had a TruFlo drop in that looked like someone used it to filter pond water). Seemed to pick up a MPG or two from hand calculations. Next on my agenda was to purchase a SCT LW tuner to run on an performance tune while keeping my foot out of it (easier said then done)...upon purchase and monitoring I've found several interesting tidbits.

First off, truck has always had a longer then usual crank time (hot or cold)...the batteries date code to 2005, so best to assume they are original. SCT shows voltage at around 11.5V after glow plug warm up, and goes to 10.xxV while cranking. Guessing battery replacement = quicker start?

Second, I have been using the Livewire to monitor ECT/EOTs. No big temp difference between the two, they actually like to stay pretty close together once warm (peaks of ~8* while driving), however, the ECT is most comfortable @ 178*, barely capable of going above 180* (will get there driving hard, but stays for mere seconds). Guessing thermostat is shot and replacement will pick up a few MPGs.

I also show code P0673 for glowplug #3, should I swap or test? Cleared it, but it does come back as my only code (no CEL).

Wondering from the community, is there anything else I should monitor or recommendations for testing/preventative maintenance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Get them batteries replaced ASAP, weak batteries can cause issues with the FICM and injectors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.