grey oil? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
grey oil?

While doing the EGR delete on the little woman's F250, when I pulled the oil filter and housing off I noticed the oil looked kind of grey. I just changed the oil about a week ago with new Rotella T6. Probably doesn't have 100 miles on the oil before it started smoking (white) real bad and decided it needed an EGR delete.

So what does grey oil mean? Performance was fine, runs good, no misses or loss of power. But loosing coolant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 08:52 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
when coolant gets in the oil it gets a milky grayish color. could either be headgaskets or oil cooler where they mixed, both would cause loss of coolant and white smoke.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

yup
Old 12-10-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by code.mafia View Post
While doing the EGR delete on the little woman's F250, when I pulled the oil filter and housing off I noticed the oil looked kind of grey. I just changed the oil about a week ago with new Rotella T6. Probably doesn't have 100 miles on the oil before it started smoking (white) real bad and decided it needed an EGR delete.

So what does grey oil mean? Performance was fine, runs good, no misses or loss of power. But loosing coolant.

Only 2 places oil cooler or HG's if it started smoking real bad and the egr cooler went well the problem is the oil cooler that is what caused the egr cooler to let go, high temp spreads between the ECT-EOT, need gauges.
2 stroker
Old 12-10-2011, 09:36 PM

Well I bought a CTS and SCT for mine as soon as I got it ($1000). But her's has been in the shop since we got it, front axle seals were out (wouldn't shift into 4WD), needed a new PCM (tranny would go into limp home mode, wouldn't shift), driver seat switches, steering wheel controls, etc. So we spent all our money on keeping hers running and then blew an EGR cooler. I go to replace it and find grey oil. I wanted to get gauges for hers (CTS) but we keep throwing money at it and can't afford them yet. She has an extended warranty on it, mine doesn't, but mine has no issues.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:39 PM

So if we are deleting the EGR cooler, change the oil, will that fix the problem?
Old 12-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
So if we are deleting the EGR cooler, change the oil, will that fix the problem?
Probably not. The root problem for the EGR cooler going is the Oil cooler being clogged. So, the oil cooler could have popped and that is what let the coolant in to the oil creating the grey color. So, you probably need a new or rebuilt oil cooler.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
no, if you have coolant in the oil which it sounds like because of the color and smoke, your oil cooler and or head gaskets are blown. coolant cant enter the oil system through a blown egr cooler
Old 12-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmitchell111 View Post
no, if you have coolant in the oil which it sounds like because of the color and smoke, your oil cooler and or head gaskets are blown. coolant cant enter the oil system through a blown egr cooler
Hold up...the head gaskets might be ok. Of course, a test would be the best way to find out.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
No, i don't think so because the egr was not the problem yes it is shot but the oil cooler is the problem 99% of the time can't tell you may get lucky. That is why every 6.0 needs gauges
2 stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.