New to the Powerstroke line - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the Powerstroke line

Hey Men and ladies,

small introduction:

I am new to the Powerstroke line and have just purchased a used PS 6.0. It came in an incredibly maintained 05 F350 extracab 6.5'bed. There have been many updates according to the service techs at the dealership (The previous owner of my new ride is a diesel tech at another Ford dealership and was apparently a fanatic about Preventative maintenence and making sure the truck rode and handled like new).

I am certain that I will come up with other questions / issues as my ownership of this great ride continues but for now I am looking simple and basic...

The engine has 106k miles on it and is ready for an oil change in a few weeks..... and I am not sure what way is the most recommended way to go with proper oil and filter etc.. Can anyone lend some feedback ? I am looking to change next weekend and at the same time take a sample of the oil to send in to Blackstone labs. I live in Ma. and hav e all intents of plowing this season if this helps with any advice that may be offered up.

Thanks in advance and I eagerly look forward to fishing in the deep pool of knowledge here at PS.org.

Whitewater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the .ORG

I since we are moving into winter, I would go with a good synthetic 5w40 and ONLY a Motorcraft or Raycor filter. Some say Fram is the same filter… Do not use Wix or any other brand and ONLY used the OEM filter cap.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:32 PM

Ham Radio Man I thank you for the advise !! I am sorry for the prolonged late reply I didn't think I would get an answer so fast so I just checked this tonight.

I am going to look online to see whee I can find the best deal on the oil and filter etc. Mobile 1 full syn should be okay I assume? I am finding it at amazon for $59.62 for 2 @ 1 gallon containers with free shipping. So I am looking at $120.00 for 16 quarts (need only 15 with the filter change right?) the filter probably just pick up at local parts store.

Thank you again !

Whitewater
Old 12-11-2011, 04:42 PM

I see Rotella T6 for about $21/gal at wallyworld....
Old 12-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here is for filters.
http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/f...k-filters.aspx
Old 12-11-2011, 04:55 PM

You've come to the right place.
Lots use Rotella, Delo, and Valvoline. As long as it is a 5W40 rated diesel oil, you should be good. Don't buy into the Amsoil/Royal Purple hype about longer oil changes unless you do religious UOAs like you're planning on. And even then, don't expect much. This is why oil is so important: How HEUI works and best to convert
Old 12-11-2011, 05:40 PM

This is all awesome stuff guys !! I was glued to the article outlining the history of the powerstroke engines!! That was great reading "jesilvas" posted on here.

I guess I am good to go on the oil so the next question is what else should I be doing as routing maintenence with this milage... what troubles should I expect and what can I start getting into the habit of doing for PM?

WW
Old 12-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke Techie

A monitor solution like the ScangaugeII or Edge Insight CS/CTS is very important for the 6.0, even if you don't add the performance goodies.

This link will tell you the basics.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 12-11-2011, 06:28 PM

Thank you Lilpooh ..... I am looking into these right now...

I hear a lot of talk about "tunes" and I have no idea what that refers to but am assuming that this is about changing the software for the way or the timing the engine performs certain jobs/tasks/functions. does that sound accurate? I do not know what exact mods have been made to this engine so far and really need to get the dealership to give me a copy of the service records or get it to a performance mechanic(or other mechanic) to really give me the scoop on what this thing is made up of.

I used to have an 05 CC SRW 4x4with this same engine as a company vehicle when I ran a division of BFI. I wish now that I had made more time to hang around the mechanic who would do my service on the truck ... come in real handy right now !!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Yes, "tunes" or "tuning" changes or intercepts the factory PCM (computer) signals, and changes/alters the setting to get more power out of the motor.

Here is some more info, you will find locations of parts and sensors. It will help you to get to know your 6.0. Start with the 2003.5 and work your way up thru the years and the changes made.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-08.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.