Help Coolant leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Glow Plugs Only
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,439
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help Coolant leak

Hey guy's hopefully someones experience will help out here. I have a coolant leak that showed up running down the rear of the right side head. Pressure tested and I was convinced by looking at it the leak was coming from the head gasket as there was a very slight oozing of coolant that looked like it was coming from the gasket area. I don't have coolant in my oil. It was suggested on another thread that it may be coming from the oil cooler to egr hose. It does look a tad damp on top of the motor and around the hose but only slightly. Tried to find the post and the commentor but couldn't locate it. The egr has plugs welded in both ends. As of yesterday there is signs of coolant now seeping down the left side head. Now I'm not convinced it's the right side head gasket.
Attached Thumbnails
Help Coolant leak-left-side-coolant-leak-path.jpg   Help Coolant leak-right-side-coolant-leak-path.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Monroe, Georgia
Posts: 3,663
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The egr hose is easy to replace and likely to leak. If you have had a delete done and a factory Ford hose not installed I would think it is your problem. It is on the passenger side of the engine but depending on how the truck was parked the coolant could have run around the hpop cover and leaked down the driver side. Good luck with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Glow Plugs Only
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,439
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargar View Post
The egr hose is easy to replace and likely to leak. If you have had a delete done and a factory Ford hose not installed I would think it is your problem. It is on the passenger side of the engine but depending on how the truck was parked the coolant could have run around the hpop cover and leaked down the driver side. Good luck with it.
It's the stock EGR with welded plugs and the new blue hose. It's really hard to see down in there especially with the stock cooler there but I want it to look normal for inspections. The truck parks pretty much level so it should drain to the rear if it is the hose but really can't see in there. Going to be doing the Bulletproof oil cooler but gotta wait for an injury to heal first. Just bad timing. Started leaking after returning from PA to Ontario. Put on quite a few miles since the EGR was done.
Thanks,
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newellton, LA
Posts: 1,247
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would have to agree with the egr hose. Look in there if it is not blue I'll just about guarantee it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Serving Our Country!


 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,345
Thanks: 67
Thanked 35 Times in 24 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dieselmatt
If you can't figure it out, but think it could be the head gaskets then buy a test kit and find out for sure. If it turns out negative then at least you will know your head gaskets are in good shape!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Glow Plugs Only
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,439
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmatt View Post
If you can't figure it out, but think it could be the head gaskets then buy a test kit and find out for sure. If it turns out negative then at least you will know your head gaskets are in good shape!
Sounds like a plan. What is the test kit and where do I get one?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-10-2011, 09:52 AM
War is the answer!


 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Daytona Beach, Florida
Posts: 4,969
Thanks: 86
Thanked 62 Times in 17 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have CAT CEC-1 coolant and last week I was installing my 5"MBRP and noticed red liquid on the side of my tranny. Untill now I thought that I was looking at a new tranny but after seeing this thread I whent out and looked in the EGR cooler vally and shure enough ther is the red coolant. I'ts such a small leak I dont really notice it and my coolant level is a little lower than when I filled it up after my flush. This was driving me nuts becouse my tranny fluid never got any lower....lol Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Glow Plugs Only
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,439
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
I have CAT CEC-1 coolant and last week I was installing my 5"MBRP and noticed red liquid on the side of my tranny. Untill now I thought that I was looking at a new tranny but after seeing this thread I whent out and looked in the EGR cooler vally and shure enough ther is the red coolant. I'ts such a small leak I dont really notice it and my coolant level is a little lower than when I filled it up after my flush. This was driving me nuts becouse my tranny fluid never got any lower....lol Thanks guys!
I sure wish mine was that easy to detect. My valley is a little wet but not as wet as the back of the heads. As soon as I find out what one of those test kits are I'm gonna get one and keep my fingers crossed it's not the head gaskets. Just a side note: I screwed up when I did my last flush and put Zerex G05 back in and not Cat CEC-1. If I had of guess I'd be in your boat LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 12-10-2011, 10:04 AM
War is the answer!


 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Daytona Beach, Florida
Posts: 4,969
Thanks: 86
Thanked 62 Times in 17 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee004 View Post
I sure wish mine was that easy to detect. My valley is a little wet but not as wet as the back of the heads. As soon as I find out what one of those test kits are I'm gonna get one and keep my fingers crossed it's not the head gaskets. Just a side note: I screwed up when I did my last flush and put Zerex G05 back in and not Cat CEC-1. If I had of guess I'd be in your boat LOL.
If your vally is wet its ether oil or coolant. You can tell the difference if you can get in there. Ether way its probably good to have the heads tested. I doubt its your heads. my coolant is also leaking down the back just the same as the pictures. Just not as bad. Look at it this way. Its a good reason for you to get your EGR cooler deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 12-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Glow Plugs Only
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,439
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is the kit the thing I remember vaugly seeing a video on little while back? Uses a rubber stopper and some type of tube in the degas bottle cap openning and you look for air bubbles or something like that. Can't remember where though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors