EGR Spool in 06 KR CC DRW FX4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Tattooed Infidel

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Spool in 06 KR CC DRW FX4

Finally put the EGR spool (ebay) in today. everything went smooth looks like the prior owner kept the egr pretty clean, had a coating of soot but nothing serious.

Was able to reuse the o-rings but will replace them with new ones shortly anyway.

My truck has the super tow or what ever its called, 4.30 gears so at 60mph my tach is right at 2000rpm.

Have watched the mpg lie-o-meter for many miles and I know it normally shows 13.5mpg at 60mph on level ground with the cruise on.

Took it out got it fully warmed up and gave it a run just to see were the lie-o-meter would be, normally jumps any where from 13.4 to 13.6.

After the EGR spool it was running 14.8 to 15.0mpg, so I guess I will see after a tank of fuel or so if there are any gains.

Last tank of fuel was right at 13.5mpg city and highway mixed, I filled it up to the first click off on the pump at my favorite fuel station, always use the same pump.

But the CEL lit up after the first start after it was hot, so SCT it is and get rid of the pesky light. (I did leave the EGR hooked up and left it on top the engine secured so it won't bounce around).

I did go out and "Stand on it" a few times other than I experienced wheel hop for the first time I can't say I really noticed any performance gains except maybe a little quicker turbo spool up, but nothing blistering. (Could be wishfull thinking)

It is currently using the latest Ford flash with the heat inductive flash. Statrts great in the cold weather

After I read the fuel tank mod about shortening the tubes in the tank I figured I would see just how much more I could get in the tank after the click off I got 4 gallons more in the tank. (Another mod for the future)

Looking forward to getting the EGR Cooler delete done, but for now I am leaving it until it goes out or the warranty runs out.

I will update the threead after I run a tank or two out and see if there are any milage gains.

I did notice that the turbo boost gauge (Factory) wasn't reading as high driving normal around town, while on cruise going up grades and such I have driven alot and when taking off normally in trafffic, there again it may be wishfull thinking.

Next is the fuel pressure spring upgrade, banjo bolts, and get a SCT tuner, and some gauges.

Any thoughts?

Comments?

Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I just gonna recommend a monitor/gauge solution be the first thing to get on your list.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Remove the scoop and plug the outlet in your up pipe, get a no EGR tune and you are good.

Last edited by xjeeper; 12-09-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Tattooed Infidel

Lilpooh, xjeeper:

Points taken, I have considered the hidden mods to the up-pipe, probably in the spring.....my truck is to big to fit in the garage right now with my 29, and 39 fords in there.

I have the welder (MIG and TIG), and can make whatever size plug I need as I have a lathe, (and a mill)
Old 12-09-2011, 03:08 PM

Is there a difference in running one of these and not an EGR delete? Does it do the same thing? I've never heard of this before
Old 12-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Tattooed Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTank View Post
Is there a difference in running one of these and not an EGR delete? Does it do the same thing? I've never heard of this before
The spool blocks the EGR exh flow to the intake, however the cooler is still on the truck and the exh still enters the cooler, later if one blocks the up-pipe exh output and removes the scoop then the cooler stands alone, but still has coolant going thru it.

However it would still appear stock, as long as the cooler wasn't leaking I think it should be okay, kinda the best of both worlds.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTank View Post
It basically does the same thing, preventing hot exhaust gases from entering the intake, and prevents coolant from entering the intake if the EGR cooler were to fail.

You should also either weld shut the EGR cooler on the up-pipe side, or cap off the EGR cooler on the up-pipe side by either a bolt on blocker plate and a EGR delete up-pipe.

I ran a EGR valve spool plug for about 2yrs prior to doing a full delete. Here is the one I made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.