$10,000 to spend on what? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$10,000 to spend on what?

Hi fella's. I'm looking to get some security/performance into my 6.0

I don't want to do it bit by piece, I'd rather get it in one bite.

Here's where it's at:

-2006 with ~80,000 miles on the clock
-Just recently began throwing a code, diagnosed as turbo coking. No noticeable drive issues as a result yet.
-Every single thing is stock, mechanically.
-Been a dependable truck, starts good even in -40 Saskatchewan winter.
-Currently getting ~11mpg
-Silicone boots on intake tube are saturated and permeable due to oil so they are a must change.
-Truck is lifted a bit and decked out to my liking so I need no cosmetics.
-Well maintained always ran a good synth oil and changed every 6000km, fuel filters every 2nd oil change.

In order of importance I'm gunning for the following:

-Reliability
-Fuel Mileage
-More power
-Tougher sounding

I just bought my wife some granite counters so I have a small window of opportunity to invest around $10,000 into my own gear, without the risk of sleeping by myself.

What would you suggest, and in what order of importance if you were looking to accomplish these goals?

Tentatively I've come up with the following list based on research of this site:

-Replace turbocharger (peace of mind more than anything, but if I'm having it pulled apart anyhow I just as well put a new possibly slightly larger unit in)
-If new turbo is larger then larger injectors and fuel system to support it.
-Replace silicone boost boots (current boots permeating oil from intake tube)
-Replace fuel pressure regulator spring with Motorcraft Part # 3C3Z-9T517-AG
-Flush coolant system with distilled water 3-4 times, then run "Restore" for 1-3hrs flush with distilled and "Restore Plus" 1-3 hrs, flush with distilled 3-4 more times.
-Replace oil cooler system
-Replace EGR with a delete kit
-Install Edge CTS for data, SCT X3 for tuning.
-4-5" exhaust
-Stock air cleaner
-ARP head studs
-OEM head gaskets

These are just ideas I have from reading the site here. I'm open to any and all ideas from you, just keeping in mind that my number one priority is dependability/longevity. Power is fine only as a side effect of increased fuel mileage.

Thanks for your input, looking forward to the build and hopefully patronizing this sites sponsors.

Kevin.

Last edited by Evilsports; 12-09-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just to be clear, I won't sacrifice dependability for anything, I won't sacrifice fuel mileage for power or sound, and I won't sacrifice power for sound.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You've got a damn good idea going there..

Although I will suggest, look into bullet proof diesel's oil cooler. It relocates it as a front mount And moves your filter off the top of the motor... Much better...

Also look into a coolant filtration kit.. Even with the flushes, you may Have
Junk left in there...

If you don't want to sacrifice mileage, idk about going with bigger injectors and a bigger turbo... I'm not positive but I think you will loose some there... Being where you are I'm Assuming y'all are on winter fuel year round? Idk how that will come into play for bigger injectors.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 12-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Excellent list there. Too add to it if you are going with a larger injector and turbo you will need a fuel system.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Serving Our Country!

I agree with everything said so far.

I just want to add to the list a CCV mod. This will prevent your boots from getting saturated again. You can DIY or buy a kit for it. A quick search on here will turn up a lot on it.

Oh, and go ahead and go with the 5" exhaust. Make sure you get the larger down pipe to go with it though.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:39 AM

Maybe bigger intercooler, the banks technicooler kit looks like the best bang for your buck there. If you decide to go with bigger turbo/injectors I would get an airdog or FASS fuel system while you are at it.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaJ View Post
Being where you are I'm Assuming y'all are on winter fuel year round? Idk how that will come into play for bigger injectors.

Thanks for the advise on the bigger turbo/injectors, I hadn't thought of that. I think I'd still like to get a new turbo, possible OEM..? I can always split the old one and polish it up for a spare/resale. I'm kinda looking for as little down time as possible.

Last edited by Evilsports; 12-09-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc796 View Post
Maybe bigger intercooler, the banks technicooler kit looks like the best bang for your buck there. If you decide to go with bigger turbo/injectors I would get an airdog or FASS fuel system while you are at it.
To be honest, a bigger turbo isn't really on the top of my list. I'd just like a new one because knowing my luck I'd get the truck in the shop, pull the old one and split it, find out it's all galled and pitted, and then not be able to find one for three weeks.

I'm more leaning towards a new OEM style turbo. I'd be willing to either take a bit of a hit and resell the old one once it's refurbished, or even sitting on it for a back up.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmatt View Post
I agree with everything said so far.

I just want to add to the list a CCV mod. This will prevent your boots from getting saturated again. You can DIY or buy a kit for it. A quick search on here will turn up a lot on it.

Oh, and go ahead and go with the 5" exhaust. Make sure you get the larger down pipe to go with it though.
CCV mod is a waste of time. 3 trucks no CCV mod. Never blown a boot. Just hose your engine off occasionally
Old 12-09-2011, 11:02 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
you could look at the powermax turbo which is a slight upgrade from stock and you dont need aftermarket injectors or fuel system. bolts right in no modifications.

i have been trying to find a way to get better gas mileage from the beginning and its impossible. i get 11.92 mpg no matter how i drive but basically the only way to change your mpg is to change your right foot. plus your lift and bigger wheels arent helping your situation.
you got a good list going there, doing all that with low miles will benefit big time in the long run.

*****edit: 2 6.0's and never blown a boot but maybe some trucks are different

Last edited by travisH3; 12-09-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.