BELT TENSIONER - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 03:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question BELT TENSIONER

To remove the tension off the belt I have read you pull up and out on the bottom of the belt on the passengers side. Is this accurate? Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 06:06 AM

That is what i heard as well. I just had to replace my altenator and i just unbolted it and pulled the belt off that way. Then when i put it back on i just pulled the passenger IC pipe off and had a buddy pull on the belt and slide the altenator pully under it! I could not get that switch to flip?
Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 AM

Thank you P825. That is what I have to do also. I am hoping my new alternator will be delivered today.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Premium Member

Here is a link to a picture for the tensioner:

6.0L serpentine belt tensioner

Some one had mentioned putting a rubber bungee of some sort to keep tension on the belt while you remove the alt. Makes sure the belt stays on pulleys.

I'm trying to find the picture of a tool made with the 1/2" square on it to move the locking tab.

Found it:

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forum...ad.php?t=68091

Last edited by amdriven2liv; 12-09-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:06 AM

The belt tool is crap, and mine broke while trying to take tension off the belt. Did a bit of research, and the 6.0 has a way easier way. Stand on the pass side of the truck like mentioned above, firmly grab the belt and pull up and out toward the fender. While pulling, there is a little tab that needs to be pressed in towards the driver fender (NOT TOWARDS THE REAR of the truck) and it holds the belt tensioner in full loose position. when you are done, simply grab the belt and pull and let go, in a sort of snapping motion and it will drop the tab back into place.

Hope this makes sense, but it is super easy once you get it, and no tools are needed. I wish I knew about this before fighting with a tool and the tensioner for about an hour and then giving up in frustration.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Premium Member

Will a half inch drive breaker bar work? Just wondering if I should pick one of these up so I have it whenever I do need to replace the alt.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

Don't see why not.

With all that I have read, most just pull on belt and reach in and set latch. One person said he can just pull hard and pull it off the alt.

One person used a 20" long 1/2" torque wrench, and a couple others a 1/2" breaker.

Some remove the fan shroud also. Not fun, but can be done.

I guess when I need to do this, I'll get use the breaker bar and a hard tug.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 AM

Here is a tool that I think will work well for tensioner. Although I will not purchase it for 30.00 I will make my own for much cheaper. The 1/2 square head is not square to the bar it is welded to which is what makes this work. This guy changes the alt. in just over a minute. Good video.

Ford PowerStroke 6.0 Serpentine Belt Alternator Tensioner Tool - Slide Show
Old 12-09-2011, 05:28 PM

My new alternator came today. After reading several of these postings I thought I was ready tackle the installation. I could get my idler to rotate but could not find the locking tab. Sooooo.... climbed into the engine compartment grabbed the belt near the bottom on the passengers side. Gave it a couple of heav-hos*; on the second attempt and verbally questioning the belts parentage was able to slip it over the alternator pulley. Visually inspected the belts routing to verify it was laying on and under the pulleys properly. Turned the key three-four times just to rotate the engine and rechecked the belt. Everything was great.

*my hernia surgery is scheduled for next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
belt, idler, pulley, tensioner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.