Wow, the block heater really makes a difference! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 02:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Wow, the block heater really makes a difference!

I hate to admit it, but our F350 is really my wife's daily driver. I'd rather her have the 4x4, the comfort and space. Anyhoo - She goes into work about an hour earlier than me and every morning I hear the truck start up. Since the weather has gotten pretty cold (usually 25*F-40*F) in the morning, the truck has been having issues.

I switched from Motorcraft to Delo400 and I noticed a big difference in starting in colder temps - IT SUCKS! There is nothing wrong with the truck itself, but the initial 2 seconds after starting just sounds like the thing is gonna come apart. It smooths out and is fine after that.

Last night, I decided to plug the truck in and when it started this morning (~28*F) it started right up with no problems at all! I had been avoiding plugging it in simply out of laziness (and the fact that I didn't want the wife to forget it as plugged in and drive off!). I just can't believe that a difference this made. My dad's 05 Cummins doesn't hardly ever get plugged in and it fires up in 10*F weather just fine - Don't get me wrong, I'm not doggin' the 6.0, just noting that she's a cold blooded mistress!

I think we'll continue to plug it in overnight this winter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 02:51 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The heater for the 6.0 makes a world of difference on cold mornings. I always plug mine in when the weather approaches the 40 degree mark. To save energy and $ I built a power supply that comes on about 4 in the morning (most folks on this site agree it takes the block about 4 hours to heat up) and when the temp does hit 40. When both conditions are satisfied my heater is energized. Really helps on chilly mornings.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:17 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante04SRT View Post
I hate to admit it, but our F350 is really my wife's daily driver. I'd rather her have the 4x4, the comfort and space. Anyhoo - She goes into work about an hour earlier than me and every morning I hear the truck start up. Since the weather has gotten pretty cold (usually 25*F-40*F) in the morning, the truck has been having issues.

I switched from Motorcraft to Delo400 and I noticed a big difference in starting in colder temps - IT SUCKS! There is nothing wrong with the truck itself, but the initial 2 seconds after starting just sounds like the thing is gonna come apart. It smooths out and is fine after that.

Last night, I decided to plug the truck in and when it started this morning (~28*F) it started right up with no problems at all! I had been avoiding plugging it in simply out of laziness (and the fact that I didn't want the wife to forget it as plugged in and drive off!). I just can't believe that a difference this made. My dad's 05 Cummins doesn't hardly ever get plugged in and it fires up in 10*F weather just fine - Don't get me wrong, I'm not doggin' the 6.0, just noting that she's a cold blooded mistress!

I think we'll continue to plug it in overnight this winter!
I have my extension cord run so that I have to trip over it in the morning....makes it hard to forget to unplug!!
Old 12-09-2011, 04:48 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My 2006 will start the same way when cold. Sounds like crap for less then 15-20 seconds then smooths out nicely. I plug in as well when it gets colder.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:51 AM

Put a timer on it, so it turns on 3-4 hours before you plan on leaving. Or you are gonna hate the electric bill too.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:39 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante04SRT View Post
I had been avoiding plugging it in simply out of laziness (and the fact that I didn't want the wife to forget it as plugged in and drive off!).
Throw the cord on the hood or wrap it around the mirror...hopefully, she'll see it before she drives away.

I plug mine in when the temps get below 40 at night. It's on a timer and comes on at 5 and I start it at 7. It does not need to be on all night, completely unecessary. 3-4 hours may be needed if the temps approach zero.

My buddy with the 7.3L, bought it new in '02, has never plugged his truck in...he starts it many times a winter below zero.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 AM

you can build a sold mount in the front (or rear) bumper so that as she (you?) backs out, it just unplugs :p
Old 12-09-2011, 05:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Does anyone know how much current the block heater draws? Seems a lot of the common timers found at lowes & home depot are very low current
Old 12-09-2011, 06:07 AM
Premium Member

I think it's 10 amps or a little less. 1000watts

For more info on your block heater:

Kat's

They recommend unplugging before starting.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Serving Our Country!

switch to 5w40 and dont worry about plugging it in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.