STOLEN TRUCK...with a twist and with a question. You need to read! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 07:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
STOLEN TRUCK...with a twist and with a question. You need to read!

Well, i was an idiot for never installing an aftermarket anti-theft device but it gets good...read on.
I went to a nearby car show this past saturday and someone stole my truck. I got to the place around 6:30 pm and noticed the truck missing around 8:30. There was an off-duty police officer at the car show so he made the stolen vehicle report for me. He asked me if I had any anti-theft devices and i replied no being somewhat embarrased. I make the report and call a friend to pick me and my family up. My buddy showed up and we began driving home. He made a few phone calls to a few friends who knew some shady characters in the area but nothing. About 30 minutes after i filled out the report, the original officer that had made my report calls me on my cell phone and asked me if i was sure that i did not have lojack. I responded no. I bought the truck new and never installed it. He says that there was a hit on my vin number from lojack. I explained again that it has to be a mistake and that i did not buy lojack. He says that he would call me back. A few minutes later, he calls me back and says that the truck was found, partially stripped, and at a house and that it does have lojack and that they found it. I said GREAT!! and asked him for the address. My buddy drives me and my family over to the address and there it was!! After questioning the residents of the house, the police determined that a 23 year old guy lived there with the mother and stepfather. The mother and stepfather were there but the 23 year old was not. He may have gotten spooked when he saw the police car drive by looking for my truck. Police ran the guys name in the system and turns out that he has a very extensive auto theft past. The parents were not very helpful in trying to locate their son. Also, there was an older white f250 next to mine and it had one of my rims already on it and some of my parts in the bed. An auto theft detective arrived on scene and also tried to convince the parents to have their son return home. Well, apparently, they did not want to cooperate, so the detective arrested both the mother and the stepfather. The older f250 was registered to the mother and since there were stolen parts on her truck, she was arrested for possession of stolen property and the truck was towed pending the investigation. Chances are, they will lose the truck. What a night!! Now i am just waiting for the insurance company to come look at the truck. The driver side door lock is damaged, the igition is damaged, and the tailgate lock/handle is damaged along with some scuffs and scratches on sone interior/exterior parts. I guess it could have been worse. So my question is: has anyone ever run across this where they have lojack and never knew it or paid for it? I am just happy to have gotten my truck back!!!! If anyone lives in the miami area, get an alarm, and be careful with your truck. I can pm you the guys info>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You should look into a Ravelco setup. No choice but to tow your truck, with that.

But it's great that you got it back! Most never see the truck again. Though it's still a **** experience to have. I've never heard of an unknown LoJack system. That's legit.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 PM

That's an awesome story! These anti-theft and tracking systems are getting my attention lately. I have had LoJack on my computer, but didn't realize they made tracking devices for vehicles. That's too cool. You're very fortunate to have found your truck so quickly! We had a work truck stolen about a year ago with a gooseneck trailer hooked onto it. Reported it, then got a call about an hour later saying it had been recovered and that we needed to come pick it up. Turns out, somehow or another, don't know how... the trailer came unhooked from the ball, fell off the ball and into the pocket on the flatbed but stayed on the back of the truck. The thieves realized it, pulled off the side of the road to unhook the trailer, and the truck died because all the gas (it was a 2000 V10) ran to one side of the tank! So they just left it there lol. I thought we were lucky, but you better thank your lucky stars! Insurance can pay you blue book value, but they can't pay you what your truck is really worth!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:29 PM

I forgot to mention that the detective processed my truck for finger prints and was able to get a few. If any of them match the son or any of his friends, they go to jail!!! At least for burglary>
Old 12-08-2011, 05:33 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have Lojack on my truck and I'm glad to have done it with as many vehicles are stolen here in Arizona.

Glad that you were able to get your truck back. Hopefully, the insurance company doesn't hassle you too badly.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:19 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I commend you for not getting violent. However the good news is that there is still time to go crazy on them!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 12-08-2011, 07:48 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
wow. thats insane.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:12 AM

I love stories like this that have a happy ending
Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
it's great that you got your truck back. you are one of the lucky ones. and no i have never heard of having lojack and not knowing it
Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 AM

another Ravelco suggestion

We had our first truck stolen out of our driveway in September. We put the Ravelco setup on our replacement the day after we got it and I would HIGHLY recommend it.

I also plan to install a some secondary devices.

We also park out truck in a way that it cannot be pushed down the driveway and down the street so they could work on it around the block. Which is what they did last time and block it in with our other car.

The Ravelco is CHEAP!! for what it is. Very highly recommend it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.