Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Coolant leak question

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  surfmanrescue 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

So I have a small coolant leak that appeared sometime today. The trucks been sitting for 24+ hrs and it just showed up.

Anyways, so the pass manifold is wet, and it looks like its possibly coming from the valve cover above the rear most glow plug on that side. I know that no coolant flows through that area, so any thoughts on where its coming from?

I'm removing the wheel well cover to get better access and I'll get pictures up asap to help.

Thanks for the thoughts!

#2 ·
It could be the egr cooler connection leaking and just making its way down there. Just a thought.

#3 ·
That's a good thought. I'll check it out again, but my first look up top looked dry..

#4 ·
^ +1 Look around your Egr System.

#5 ·
well shoot I was to late...lol

#6 ·
Here's a few pictures.. Looks like maybe the buss bar?

FYI, from what I can tell the valley under the EGR is dry as a bone

#8 ·
I don't think it's the heater core or lines, all of those are dry. So is the entire back side of the motor. It seems to be seeping from the valve cover gasket, down to the GP buss, then to the manifold, starter, trans cooler lines and to the ground. The head don't appear cracked from the outside (they were magnafluxed and checked when I had my studs done).

My oil doesn't grow, nor is it milky, and I don't have any over pressurization of the cooling system. I haven't noticed my coolant dropping at all and my exhaust smells normal. :dunno:

#9 ·
How likely is it that the GP cup is cracked letting coolant seep out pass the o-ring?

The area above the valve cover is dry. The upper most place where it's wet is at the valve cover gasket, and it seems to be confined to just the one GP

#11 ·
The one to the right of the GP? I haven't.. Good thought though.. I'll try it right now. While I wait for the air compressor

#12 ·
That bolt was tight, the two closest valve cover bolted were looser than the others, so I tightened those up a tad.

But now that I have the wheel off, is seems to be seeping from the valve cover gasket upon closer inspection, I can wipe off the drips, and a few minutes later they reappear.. But everything above and behind seem to be dry.. :dunno:

#13 ·
I was having a very similar leak, but on the drivers side. I tightened the bolt that it was leaking around and the leak went away. Obviously that didn't work for you. That being said, when I asked if there was actually any coolant flowing through there the answer I got was no. So, why tightening that bolt worked for me I still have not clue. As for your issue, if there is no coolant flowing through that area how could it be leaking from there? Double check your heater core hose right above that? :dunno:

#14 ·
So update time, I worked the truck pretty hard today, let it cool down and then cleaned the passenger side of the motor as best I could, and now I'm letting it cold soak with a few rags placed in a couple probable areas, hopefully I'll get a tell-tale from the rags if it's leaking from above.

My mechanic wants to pressure check the system once he gets a bay open...

#15 ·
So, after the cold soak last night, I'm seeing a small amount of coolant at the rocker carrier/head seam above the #7 cylinder... Any ideas what could cause this? Fixes?

#17 ·
Nope, nothing... I honestly have absolutely no idea where it's coming from.

#19 ·
I have all the time in the world right now (I'm laid off until April) but, lack of funds is preventing me from ripping it all apart. And the fact that it's my only mode of transportation..

Hopefully I can get it pressure tested soon, and I'll post up here as I find things out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.