MPG WTF - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPG WTF

After buying my first diesel (05 6.0 cc) and getting it running and driving it fot a week (about 400miles), this thing gets the worst fuel milage i think i have ever seen! My firts fill up i got avg 9.26mpg driving normal little highway and local. So i run some diesel clean and get 10.25 on my next fill up. On the other side of the pump was a guy with a 06 6.0 cc so i ask him what he gets '' if i drive normal 16 and driving hard 14''. This is my first diesel and i know that towing they cant be beat but this is ridiculous. I have always been the guy that says gas motors are hard to beat for your everyday truck but i didnt think it would be this bad. If this thing doesnt get any better this truck is going on the chopping block and i will get a big block chevy and get the same milage with less noise.
Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 07:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
are you hand calculating mpg or are you using the lie-o-meter. y truck gets 19-20 mpg consistently but according to the lie - o meter i get 13
Old 12-05-2011, 07:50 PM

What all did you have to do to "get it running"? If that's hand calculated, you've either got one helluva lead foot or something aint right. Hope it gets worked out for ya, don't toss that Cheby in there!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Being your first diesel, you don't know how to drive it yet. Subtle differences in technique can make a HUGE difference.

Also, "get it running". Please explain. There are many things that affect fuel mileage, I can list them once I know what you've already done!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:07 PM

Mine get 16 city and 20 to 21 hwy if 65mph or under. If you run in tow/ haul mode in town it will kill your mileage as well. You have to drive it like a heavy truck not a sports car.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

As for what i did was to reinstall a new injector harness, turbo oil feed line, blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, and oil and filter trans fluid and both filters, both fuel filters, and coolant flush with fleetchage coolant. The truck does have a lift kit but there is not way that it can kill my milage that much. the truck dont blow any black smoke not evean a little when i take off from a stand still. And i drive very normal maybe even slower than my 1500 silverado and that got 15-16 around town and 21 or so on the high way with the lift kit.
finally got one!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

You could have a bad strategy. Some of the strategies get good fuel mileage and some don't. Do a search for strategies on here and you will find a lot of information as to which ones are good and which ones are bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.