What am I missing? (6.0 No Start) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What am I missing? (6.0 No Start)

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.
I've searched pretty extensively but could use some help.

I picked up my first diesel, a 2005 F-350 CCSB 6.0 6 speed with 153k a little over a month ago. I'd been on the hunt for a 6.0/6MT for a while and got a heck of a deal on this truck. It appears to have been very well taken care (bed looks nearly brand new, newer Ranch hand bumpers front and rear).

However as with many things in life there was a catch, when I bought it, it was very hard to start and put out quite a bit of white smoke at idle hot or cold. I decided to give it a go since I'm no stranger to turning a wrench and I got it for 7k under book value. The smoke smelled like diesel rather than coolant. Even though it was hard to start it went down the road awesome with no smoke to speak of and no loss of power or CEL.

So here's the things I've been through/my thought train trying to fix it

1. Checked for EGR issues, found EGR valve/cooler had already been deleted which was a pleasant unexpected surprise.
2. Checked FICM KOEO/Cranking, voltage was a touch low, but within spec
3. Started thinking maybe injector stiction, changed oil to Rotella T6 and added 2 bottles of REV-X. At the same time, went ahead and pulled batteries for load testing. One was marginal so I replaced both. From this point forward, I haven't been able to get it started.
4. Preventatively did the fuel filters and the blue spring FPR upgrade
5. Went ahead and pulled the FICM and sent it to FICMRepair.com in case there was an issue with it that I wasn't seeing and since the voltage was on the low side of the spec, triple checked to make sure plugs were seated fully after re-installation.
6. Replaced CMP/CKP. I know these are low failure parts, but I figured if I was going to go through the trouble of getting to them I'd go ahead and replace them since they were $30 each

From my ScanGauge the vitals are
Cranking RPM: 120-150
ICP: 1500 PSI
FICM Sync: 1 (after a second or so of cranking)
CMP/CKP Sync: 0 (this is what led me down the CKP/CMP replacement)
LPO comes up fine, I can't recall IPR duty off the top of my head, but I would assume it's ok since my ICP is good.

I've checked the harness and haven't found any obvious chafes so far. I'm reasonably confident that the lack of CMP/CKP sync why she won't catch. I think the next logical thing I need to do is Ohm the PCM pins for the CMP and CKP sensors (I took the readings from the new sensors before installation) to check for a hidden break / short. Does anyone have a diagram/pinout for the PCM connector so I can check this?

Also does anyone have any other ideas or experience with a case like this? It doesn't seem like there's much information in the way of missing "SYNC" no starts compared to ICP/FICM no starts.

Right now, I'm thinking it's got to be either a hidden harness problem, FICM logic board, ECM, or the most frightening one to me the Crankshaft timing gear.

I've probably left some stuff out, but anyways thanks for reading and any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

This does not explain the smoke, but the only time mine would not start is when the STC fitting on the HPOP took a ****.

I held a gas filled rag in the air intake and got it to crank so I could limp to the dealership.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Does he ICP start at 0, and climb to 1500? What percent duty cycle is the IPR at at this point? If there is a break in the ICP sensor wiring, the pressure will read around 1500 on the scan tool as that is the default value without a sensor connected. The CKP/CMP won't sync until the truck starts, so that isn't an issue. Did you do a compression test? Disconnect the GPCM (glow plug control module) and have someone crank it while you spray starting fluid-if she starts and stays running, do a relative compression test, measure the percent change in rotational velocity in each cylinder, and a power balance test. If it starts and doesn't stay running, buzz the injectors.

I had a truck with similar issues-I replaced the cam and crank sensor, FICM, and checked EVERYTHING. I had good ICP, but still no start. Turned out to be low compression, engine was run on kerosene and overheated, seized all the rings and some of the valves were stuck open as well!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ICP does start at about 0 and climbs into the 1500-1600 psi range after about second or so. I can't recall IPR duty off hand but I can get that value if it's may tell something. I've been hesitant to try starting fluid with all the horror stories, but I think I may need to. No compression test yet but I probably should soon. I've been working off the (potentially wrong) assumption that the internals are good because of how strong it ran once it finally started.

I didn't realize that the CMP/CKP sync doesn't occur till it starts, so that probably brings the injectors back into the list of suspects as well. I thought it was required before it would start.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.