Join Date: Oct 2010
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What am I missing? (6.0 No Start)
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.
I've searched pretty extensively but could use some help.
I picked up my first diesel, a 2005 F-350 CCSB 6.0 6 speed with 153k a little over a month ago. I'd been on the hunt for a 6.0/6MT for a while and got a heck of a deal on this truck. It appears to have been very well taken care (bed looks nearly brand new, newer Ranch hand bumpers front and rear).
However as with many things in life there was a catch, when I bought it, it was very hard to start and put out quite a bit of white smoke at idle hot or cold. I decided to give it a go since I'm no stranger to turning a wrench and I got it for 7k under book value. The smoke smelled like diesel rather than coolant. Even though it was hard to start it went down the road awesome with no smoke to speak of and no loss of power or CEL.
So here's the things I've been through/my thought train trying to fix it
1. Checked for EGR issues, found EGR valve/cooler had already been deleted which was a pleasant unexpected surprise.
2. Checked FICM KOEO/Cranking, voltage was a touch low, but within spec
3. Started thinking maybe injector stiction, changed oil to Rotella T6 and added 2 bottles of REV-X. At the same time, went ahead and pulled batteries for load testing. One was marginal so I replaced both. From this point forward, I haven't been able to get it started.
4. Preventatively did the fuel filters and the blue spring FPR upgrade
5. Went ahead and pulled the FICM and sent it to FICMRepair.com in case there was an issue with it that I wasn't seeing and since the voltage was on the low side of the spec, triple checked to make sure plugs were seated fully after re-installation.
6. Replaced CMP/CKP. I know these are low failure parts, but I figured if I was going to go through the trouble of getting to them I'd go ahead and replace them since they were $30 each
From my ScanGauge the vitals are
Cranking RPM: 120-150
ICP: 1500 PSI
FICM Sync: 1 (after a second or so of cranking)
CMP/CKP Sync: 0 (this is what led me down the CKP/CMP replacement)
LPO comes up fine, I can't recall IPR duty off the top of my head, but I would assume it's ok since my ICP is good.
I've checked the harness and haven't found any obvious chafes so far. I'm reasonably confident that the lack of CMP/CKP sync why she won't catch. I think the next logical thing I need to do is Ohm the PCM pins for the CMP and CKP sensors (I took the readings from the new sensors before installation) to check for a hidden break / short. Does anyone have a diagram/pinout for the PCM connector so I can check this?
Also does anyone have any other ideas or experience with a case like this? It doesn't seem like there's much information in the way of missing "SYNC" no starts compared to ICP/FICM no starts.
Right now, I'm thinking it's got to be either a hidden harness problem, FICM logic board, ECM, or the most frightening one to me the Crankshaft timing gear.
I've probably left some stuff out, but anyways thanks for reading and any help!