need a good 6.0 guy to bounce questions off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need a good 6.0 guy to bounce questions off

im beginning my hunt for a good 6.0 around, and i need my 6.0 questions answered once and for all, in one thread this way i know where the info is when i need it. im going to get a 6.0, either do an EGR delete, or the BPD EGR cooler. whichever is best, which do you guys reccomend? next, i heard about the 6.4 banjo bolts, some upgraded fitting STC fitting? not sure what that is, if someone can explain it to me that would be great, i plan on doing ARP head studs, with ford OEM head gaskets. havent heard good things about the black onyx head gaskets. next, the coolant filter from dieselsite. its gotta be good right? how is that installed and how often does it need to be changed? whenever you flush the coolant? id like to run zyrex or some kind of extended life coolant in there because i know about the ford gold coolant. how vital is it to do coolant flushes on the truck with the filter and ELC in it. im going to get a scangauge on it when i look at the truck to monitor the EOT and ECT. what should the spread be between the two is that the delta that is a tell tale sign the oil cooler is plugged? and last, on to the oil cooler, i was going to do the BPD oil cooler with the relocation kit, or the bypass kit, whatever its called. the one near the bumper. someone correct me if im wrong. just looking for some advice and correction on what im not sure of on these trucks. also, with the FICM how do i test the voltage on it, and if i have to get one should i get the 58v from swamps? and anyone familiar with swamps want to tell me if i can use that adapter pedestal to put an 03 turbo on to an 04.5 to an 07? its gonna sound stupid but i like the way that 03 turbo sounds on my buddys straightpiped excursion. i also plan on straight piping the truck.. given my past 2 diesels thats a given.. well everyone, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by navistardiesel View Post
im beginning my hunt for a good 6.0 around, and i need my 6.0 questions answered once and for all, in one thread this way i know where the info is when i need it. im going to get a 6.0, either do an EGR delete, or the BPD EGR cooler. whichever is best, which do you guys reccomend? Delete if you don't have to worry about emissions testing and BPD Cooler if emissions testing is required. next, i heard about the 6.4 banjo bolts, some upgraded fitting STC fitting? not sure what that is, if someone can explain it to me that would be great, The 6.4 bolts don't have the check valves in them like the stock 6.0 bolts, so supposedly a little better flow. STC fitting is only on 05+ truck and stands for Snap To Connect. It is a fitting that is located on the HPOP and notorious for causing HPO leaks. i plan on doing ARP head studs, with ford OEM head gaskets. havent heard good things about the black onyx head gaskets. next, the coolant filter from dieselsite. its gotta be good right? how is that installed and how often does it need to be changed? whenever you flush the coolant? The coolant filter "T's" into factory lines and is a pretty easy install. You need to run a coolant that is an ELC and has an EC-1 rating. Filters need to be changed every 3 monts for the first 9 months and then once a year after. After you flush the system and get the ELC coolant in, you should not have to flush the system anymore. id like to run zyrex or some kind of extended life coolant in there because i know about the ford gold coolant. how vital is it to do coolant flushes on the truck with the filter and ELC in it. im going to get a scangauge on it when i look at the truck to monitor the EOT and ECT. what should the spread be between the two is that the delta that is a tell tale sign the oil cooler is plugged? No more than 15* difference in temps. under normal conditions.and last, on to the oil cooler, i was going to do the BPD oil cooler with the relocation kit, or the bypass kit, whatever its called. the one near the bumper. someone correct me if im wrong. It is an awesome setup if you have the money. A stock oil cooler will work fine but be aware, after doing the coolant flush there is a chance that your oil cooler will become restricted. just looking for some advice and correction on what im not sure of on these trucks. also, with the FICM how do i test the voltage on it, and if i have to get one should i get the 58v from swamps? Go to Swamps website and it tells you how to test. If you have to replace it, I would highly recommend the 58v upgrade. and anyone familiar with swamps want to tell me if i can use that adapter pedestal to put an 03 turbo on to an 04.5 to an 07? You can use the 05+ pedestal for the 03 turbo but you can only use 2 of the 3 mounting points. I recommend finding an 03 pedestal and just bolting it in so it fits properly.its gonna sound stupid but i like the way that 03 turbo sounds on my buddys straightpiped excursion. i also plan on straight piping the truck.. given my past 2 diesels thats a given.. well everyone, thanks in advance.
My answers and suggestions in red.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:56 PM

so i can put an 03 turbo on an 05-07 stock mounting pedestal? most of the trucks im looking at are 06 trucks. there are a few 03's though. thanks alot though man. extremely helpful. so the ECT and EOT difference in temps should never go over 15F ? thats the delta everyone says to monitor to check the oil cooler. the scangauge should help with that when i test drive em. thanks alot for clarifying. how does the BPD egr cooler hold up though, and what kind of delete kit should i look into?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
so i can put an 03 turbo on an 05-07 stock mounting pedestal? most of the trucks im looking at are 06 trucks. there are a few 03's though. thanks alot though man. extremely helpful. so the ECT and EOT difference in temps should never go over 15F ? thats the delta everyone says to monitor to check the oil cooler. the scangauge should help with that when i test drive em. thanks alot for clarifying. how does the BPD egr cooler hold up though, and what kind of delete kit should i look into?
I've not heard of any failures of the BPD cooler. I have a River City EGR delete. The scangauge will be great for EOT and ECT. No more than 15 degrees, and the closer the numbers the better. The 03 turbo will fit the 06. All of the mounting bolts for an 03 turbo go in horizontally and the stock pedestal on the later models have 2 horizontal mounting holes and 1 vertical. I suggest finding a used 03 pedestal and swapping them out. 4 10mm bolts is all that holds the pedestal in.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
All the above info is right on the money. I will say though that the proper pedestal is not a show stopper. I have an 03 style Powermax on an 05 pedestal and just left the back bolt out. It is a pain in the butt anyway.

If you get the BPD cooler get the condenser mount. I'm not even sure they sell the bumper mount anymore. If you live in a cold climate be sure to get the cold weather kit with it.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:28 PM

if i flush the coolant, and change the oil cooler, how well is the factory oil cooler going to hold up if i do the BPD EGR delete or EGR cooler, the bypass kit with the egr and cold weather kit is 2500 dollars, the oil cooler is less, and the egr by itself is less. im going to do headstuds, another 400$ and the gaskets too, so if i can save on the cooler, i would, only if it will work as well.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
if i flush the coolant, and change the oil cooler, how well is the factory oil cooler going to hold up if i do the BPD EGR delete or EGR cooler, the bypass kit with the egr and cold weather kit is 2500 dollars, the oil cooler is less, and the egr by itself is less. im going to do headstuds, another 400$ and the gaskets too, so if i can save on the cooler, i would, only if it will work as well.
The factory cooler will be fine but their cooler eliminates the possibility of ever getting oil and coolant mixed. It will lower the temps. also.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Great questions and great answers! Coach
Old 12-06-2011, 05:35 AM

i think what im going to do is first get the scangauge before anything. next get the EGR delete, headstuds, and the oil cooler. flush the coolant, get the filter and whatnot. then with the ELC coolant, and if anything should happen, which i dont think it would if i did the things i just listed, ill get the fully bulletproof kit with the cold weather kit. then an SCT tuner, w. gauges. then mods like the 03 turbo and whatnot, lift and wheels and tires. to have a real nice 6.0 thats damn bulletproof. is there anything i can do, like an uprgraded fuel filter or anything so it filters better than the factory filter?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
i think what im going to do is first get the scangauge before anything. next get the EGR delete, headstuds, and the oil cooler. flush the coolant, get the filter and whatnot. then with the ELC coolant, and if anything should happen, which i dont think it would if i did the things i just listed, ill get the fully bulletproof kit with the cold weather kit. then an SCT tuner, w. gauges. then mods like the 03 turbo and whatnot, lift and wheels and tires. to have a real nice 6.0 thats damn bulletproof. is there anything i can do, like an uprgraded fuel filter or anything so it filters better than the factory filter?
You could go with an Airdog or FASS fuel system which filters better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.