Coolant Filter Pics... What is this? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 05:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Coolant Filter Pics... What is this?

When I flushed out my truck I found alot of metal particles in the bottom of the drain bucket. Now after running for a few months the same particles are in the coolant filter. It looks like the block is rusting and flaking off but how could that be when it has had coolant in it the whole time? Any help? thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Coolant Filter Pics... What is this?-coolantf1.jpg   Coolant Filter Pics... What is this?-coolantf2.jpg   Coolant Filter Pics... What is this?-coolantf3.jpg   Coolant Filter Pics... What is this?-coolantf4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It looks like a mixture of casting sand, and gunk from inside your engine.

Also, make sure you aren't using a coolant filter with a Supplement Coolant Additive (SCA) as said filters are designed for much larger trucks and the additive can contribute to the development of this sort of sludge when used on the smaller 6.0L.

I don't know what the rest of the guys will say but I'd want to flush my engine again if I was pulling out that much crap on an engine post-flush/ELC coolant install.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:51 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05P0werStroke View Post
When I flushed out my truck I found alot of metal particles in the bottom of the drain bucket. Now after running for a few months the same particles are in the coolant filter. It looks like the block is rusting and flaking off but how could that be when it has had coolant in it the whole time? Any help? thanks
Nasty hope mine doesn't look like that ,at least the filter is helping , I firgue even with the filter for me it will be about every 6 or so years a oil cooler rebuild.
Could be radiator little rust, can't really say for sure
JER-1
Old 12-04-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Do you have any insight on the history of the maintenance of the cooling system? Did you buy the truck new? If not, do you know how diligent the previous owners were with regard to checking their coolant/getting it flushed? You could just have a neglected cooling system that's going to take a long time to get clean.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:56 AM

which filter should I be buying, this one is one from napa, I'll find the number. I flushed last Jan and have put about 8-10k on it. Doesnt look like alot of gel for 8-10k but when I was flushing there was alot of rust particles... I just got my cts and its about 7deg delta. 190 ect 197 eot...
Old 12-04-2011, 06:00 AM

Here's a fairly comprehensive list:

Fleetguard WF-2077
Baldwin B5134
John Deere RE11992
Caterpillar 9Y4528
Cummins 3300721
Wix 24070
NAPA 4070
AC-Delco WF-108
Fram PR3383
Donaldson P554685 /ECF4085
Alliance (Freightliner) WF2077
CarQuest 89070
Old 12-04-2011, 06:06 AM

I used the napa 4070, just looked, when i was doing research i remebered the filter couldn't have additive in it...
Old 12-04-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I used the napa 4070, just looked, when i was doing research i remebered the filter couldn't have additive in it...
Well, that's a plus then.

What's the coolant in your degas bottle look like? Nice and clean?

Did you do the whole 8-12 hr flush advocated here on the Org? Restore/Restore+ and the whole shabang? Or just a basic flush?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:11 AM

I filled and flushed about 6 times with distilled water, used like 50 gallons of water while pulling the driver block plug and lower radiator hose, I used the vc9 in one of the flushes and the degas bottle looks good and clean
Old 12-04-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
I filled and flushed about 6 times with distilled water, used like 50 gallons of water while pulling the driver block plug and lower radiator hose, I used the vc9 in one of the flushes and the degas bottle looks good and clean
Judging by the pictures, and the explanation of the flush, it looks like you didn't get everything out of the block. VC9 is for rust removal. Restore is for removing the silicate crap left over from the Ford Gold coolant.

I'd flush it again if it were my truck.

There's a ton of threads on this subject here on the Org. Do a search. Also, this is a pretty nice writeup: http://bit.ly/rE6Ghx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.