EGR cooler leaking or not...? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR cooler leaking or not...?

I am in the process of changing out my oil cooler and doing an egr delete. After a few delays in the project I finally got everything out of the truck and now I have questions. I had asked before and did some tests that were recommended from here and thought I narrowed it down to the egr cooler leaking as to why I had coolant blowing out of the degas cap, but now I dont know.

Here is one of the problems I am having, The intake is all gummed up with black wet soot and all the intake ports into the motor have the same wet soot, but after removing the EGR cooler it only has dry black soot, it is not wet in there. So if the intake has black wet soot, but the egr cooler has dry black soot, does that mean that the egr cooler is not leaking or can that still be the problem. If the head gaskets are bad will the intake manifold get wet? Please help me out I dont want to put everything back together only to have to tear it apart again.

Thank you very much for the help.

Will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
usually when the cooler is bad enough to wet the intake and pressurize the bottle it'll smoke white atleast a little bit from the coolant burning

was your truck smoking at all? failed headgaskets won't smoke in a 6.0

Remember also, the egr cooler gets very hot and it'll be one of the last things to cool down. Sometimes by the time you get it off everything is dried up, the carbon will absorb moisture too.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
usually when the cooler is bad enough to wet the intake and pressurize the bottle it'll smoke white atleast a little bit from the coolant burning

was your truck smoking at all? failed headgaskets won't smoke in a 6.0

Remember also, the egr cooler gets very hot and it'll be one of the last things to cool down. Sometimes by the time you get it off everything is dried up, the carbon will absorb moisture too.
Good point on it dryting up!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Sinner,

Thanks for the information. I didnt notice if it was smoking, if it was it was very little.

So if the headgaskets are bad the intake will become wet also?

I was losing very little coolant in the bottle it just seems that the system was getting pressurized and getting blown out the cap. Once the coolant got to about 1" below the minium fill line on the degas bottle it would seem to quit going down and blowing out the cap. It also seemed to be worse on blowing out the cap if I got on it hard or was pulling my trailer.

I thought it was the EGR cooler but now I do not know for sure, I was going to try and finish it up tomorrow, but not sure if the EGR cooler was leaking.

Thanks,

Will
Old 12-03-2011, 04:55 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmanwill View Post
So if the headgaskets are bad the intake will become wet also?
I don't think blown head gaskets will make the intake wet/damp, that would likely be from the EGR cooler.

But after thinking about it... maybe it is possible that with a leaking passenger side head gasket some coolant would make it's way up through the EGR inlet and into the intake manifold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.