Tousley or not Tousley, that is the question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tousley or not Tousley, that is the question

The following is pointlessly long, and doesn't have a lot of value. But if you're bored, read through it and please post your stealership stories for the rest of us

So here's some background to my story. Having recently purchased a 2004 E-350 Chateau passenger van with a questionable maintenance history, I'm playing catch-up on various updates and maintenance issues. I've purchased a number of parts online, including my Edge gauges and coolant bypass kit from Dieselsite, as well as all my filters from dieselfiltersonline. Because I'm in Canada, I've been getting hosed by taxes and duties across the border each time; I've probably cumulatively spent an extra $150-200 on duties over the past couple of weeks.

I still needed a few Ford-specific parts, including a turbo reconditioning kit, EGR o-rings, blue spring update, improved HFCM drain plug, an updated turbo drain tube, etc etc. I live in a moderately large city with a population (including the surrounding areas) approaching a million, and there is a very large Ford dealer group that has multiple locations and a very large parts depot, which states right up front that they specialize in Powerstroke parts. I'd researched the parts I needed on this forum and read from NYC F-350 that Tousley Ford in Minnesota had the best prices for parts, so I got the MSRP and Tousley price on all of my part numbers and made a shopping list to go to the local dealership. Being a large dealership in a populous area, I expected that they'd probably be around the MSRP price.

Boy was I in for a surprise. I gave the parts guy my shopping list and he started going through it. He had the EGR valve o-rings (3C3Z9P455AB) and Turbo drain tube (6C3Z9T515A), but he didn't have the blue spring kit (6E7Z9C165B), turbo reconditioning kit (4C4Z9V424AA), or even the HFCM drain plug (6E7Z9C082A) in stock. Not only that, when he looked through his database he told me that this automotive group had never even sold an updated blue spring kit nor a turbo reconditioning kit before, and he was asking me what those kits actually did!

The funniest thing was when he was halfway through the shopping list he stopped, looked up at me, and said "Where in the world are you getting these prices? I can't do anything even close to that!" When he finally ran numbers, all of his prices were at least two-three times those being charged by Tousley. For example, for the turbo reconditioning kit, which Tousley was selling for $58, my dealership quoted me $109. The only thing I bought, because I wanted it for tomorrow, were the EGR valve o-rings, which Tousley are selling for $5.59 and what I ended up paying the dealership almost $16 for. The only thing they were even close on price to was the bottle of cetane booster for $9, which is still pretty high but not as ridiculous.

So to answer my rhetorical question, yes, I'm submitting an order tomorrow morning for all of my parts through Tousley, duties be damned. Even if I get charged 25% in duties, it's still a steal compared to my local dealer.

Last edited by pl77; 11-29-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Curious as a fellow Canadian, where do you live? Is there any way you can drive across the border and pick the stuff up from where you are? I could be wrong, but there should be no 'duty' on those type of parts, taxes yes. You will also pay large fees for brokerage if you use anything like UPS, use usps (post) whenever possible. I agree with you though, the dealers up here don't really seem to know that much about those type of things. I spoke with my dealers about whether or not a coolant filter would be a good idea and if it would cause me any warranty issues (truck is covered for 4 years) and no one had ever heard of a coolant filter. In the end I have decided not to do the kit, I can't risk having a claim denied due to something like that.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:49 PM

I am looking at the TDC Tariff Guide I have infront of me. Autoparts are listed under category 4, and subject to (gst/hst/pst) charges. If they are made in the USA there are no duties. If they are made in a country other than the USA they are subject to 8% duty.

Now this is the part that is baffline me. Motorcycle parts are listed under category 5. They are subject to (gst/hst/pst) charges. BUT regardless of whether they are made in the USA or a country other than the USA they are not subject to any duties.

I would have thought that auto parts and motorcycle parts would be under the same category...

When I order from the USA and have items shipped to Canada, I use USPS. The most expensive item I have had was declared $500 value. I have never been charged duties or taxes. However, I know of people who have had items shipped not with USPS (I think it was UPS) and their duties/taxes/fees or whatever, cost significantly more than the items.

Lately I have been driving across the border to pick up my parts. Today I picked up leaf springs which cost $300 and they didnt charge me anything at the border. I also fill up my tank while im there.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy_23 View Post
Curious as a fellow Canadian, where do you live? Is there any way you can drive across the border and pick the stuff up from where you are?
I'm in Ottawa right now, so my closest border crossing is approximately 50 minutes away. I just learned of a mailbox service that operates on the other side of the border from Prescott, but I'm moving across the province in a few days so it won't be of any help. From my new location, I'm still going to be an hour from the border. However, I have a relative in Chicago, so I'll simply ship my Tousley parts to him and get them at Christmas when he comes home.

Yes, the lack of knowledge by the dealer was a little shocking to me, to say the least. I figured they'd have a bit more product movement than they did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Lifted
I have never been charged duties or taxes. However, I know of people who have had items shipped not with USPS (I think it was UPS) and their duties/taxes/fees or whatever, cost significantly more than the items.
It's been hit or miss with me through USPS. I always always get screwed by UPS with brokerage fees, but generally I've had luck with USPS. However, the last three shipments through USPS were all subjected to taxes, duties, and fees, which my wife paid at the door when the mailman delivered the packages. If I remember correctly, the EDGE CTS was $60, the Coolant filter was $30, and the box full of filters from Dieselfiltersonline was another $40. This isn't just GST/HST, as my total order for the coolant filter and my filters were only about $180 each time. I don't know why I'm getting so utterly hosed by Canada Border Services.

But it doesn't matter. They aren't hosing me nearly as badly as my local Ford dealer!
Old 11-30-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl77 View Post
But it doesn't matter. They aren't hosing me nearly as badly as my local Ford dealer!
Exactly! Its still odd to get charged duties on stuff like that. Anyways best if you can get your relative to bring it up for you for sure. I don't even ask my dealer for parts any more I source everything elsewhere. I asked when I was looking for flares and they quoted me $1500 for paint to match flares. From tousley it was like $600ish. Crazy.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Cant help with the US/Canada Tariff effects but I can confirm that Tousely is a great dealership to purchase OEM parts from. I'm in the US and I've never found lower prices on OEM parts. Contact Mike at Tousley.

JS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.