Semi or Full Bullet Proof ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Semi or Full Bullet Proof ?

Having a hard time justifying the 1100.00 difference in Ford new OEM vs. remote Full Bullet Proof Kit + Installation costs.

Can anyone hear push me over the edge, or support the new 1 extra row of fins as a long term replacement option?

I"m running 209 EOC 193 ETC.

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you want the peace of mind of never having to worry about the oil cooler clogging again, you should spend the money now. In my mind, the installation costs easily cover the cost of the BPD oil cooler. I didn't want to have to spend the money twice and in the first 100k miles it had been in the shop for 4 EGR coolers and 1 oil cooler and that was despite running a coolant filter, so I knew it was just a matter of time...
Old 11-29-2011, 12:44 PM

I am a n00b. This is not knowledge, it's from a lot of recent reading.

I have successfully backflushed my clogged oil cooler and got the temp spread down from 45 to 16. If I was towing that would still be urgent, but I plan to wait for better weather to do the oil cooler swap.

In the meantime I have already done the chemical flushes and switched to ELC, and added the coolant filter. So I am not interested in the aftermarket cooler. According to all I've read, after doing what I've done, I can expect the OEM cooler to last (if not forever) a lot longer than the first one did, and I want the coolant helping the oil warm up.

I am considering using the BPD EGR cooler, however. I'm not interested in a delete.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Unapologetically American

I have to agree with Shawn's post, although I never had any issues before my BPD install
Old 11-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoser View Post
I am a n00b. This is not knowledge, it's from a lot of recent reading.

I have successfully backflushed my clogged oil cooler and got the temp spread down from 45 to 16. If I was towing that would still be urgent, but I plan to wait for better weather to do the oil cooler swap.

In the meantime I have already done the chemical flushes and switched to ELC, and added the coolant filter. So I am not interested in the aftermarket cooler. According to all I've read, after doing what I've done, I can expect the OEM cooler to last (if not forever) a lot longer than the first one did, and I want the coolant helping the oil warm up.

I am considering using the BPD EGR cooler, however. I'm not interested in a delete.
Yep, you are correct that some folks have had success running the factory oil cooler. Others, like me, haven't been lucky at all. In fact, I'm probably cursed... I have put my truck through it's paces because I have a pretty heavy toy hauler, although it's well within the tow rating of the vehicle. My truck is my tow beast to take my toys to play in the woods in summertime or in the sand in the wintertime. While it's only ever left me stranded one time (bad FICM), it has spent a fair amount of time at the dealership... Avoiding that hassle and future expense was worth it to me.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:58 PM

I went semi when my coolers went and wish to this day i would have just spent the extra money at the time. Now i am going to pay extra the next time my oil cooler goes out in labor to replace a part which i could have already done. Even though i already replaced my oil cooler once
Old 11-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Motor Head.

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
If you want the peace of mind of never having to worry about the oil cooler clogging again, you should spend the money now. In my mind, the installation costs easily cover the cost of the BPD oil cooler. I didn't want to have to spend the money twice and in the first 100k miles it had been in the shop for 4 EGR coolers and 1 oil cooler and that was despite running a coolant filter, so I knew it was just a matter of time...
This is exactly why I am going to eventually go with the bpd oil cooler too,I want peace of mind,and after looking at the stock oil cooler I feel its to small,poor design.Just dont want to worry about it failing again as I am on my 3 rd oil cooler at 45k.IMO
Old 11-30-2011, 05:36 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc68 View Post
This is exactly why I am going to eventually go with the bpd oil cooler too,I want peace of mind,and after looking at the stock oil cooler I feel its to small,poor design.Just dont want to worry about it failing again as I am on my 3 rd oil cooler at 45k.IMO
That sucks, but I certainly understand your frustration. I just wish that Ford would have realized that there was an issue and addressed it. Instead, they force the problem on us (the consumer) to pay for aftermarket solutions to these problems. In the end, I absolutely LOVE my truck and now that these issues have been addressed, I no longer worry when I tow with it. It's a GREAT feeling.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ford replaced my oil cooler with an 'upgraded' unit under warranty @72k and 30k miles later it ruptured 2k miles outside warranty. Sux to be me they said.

I decided not to put the same part back in and expect a different result. Today I completed my full BPD cooler system. Yes it's expensive, but it's clear to me from the components I rcvd that those folks know what they are doing - it's an engineered *solution*.

best wishes with your rebuild either way you choose.
-d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.